What should I get?

Hey guys, I'm a software engineer student and I want to update my laptop, but I don´t know what should I buy. I would like to know what you guys recommend. I just need it to code, i usually don't have time to game. A thin and light would be good, but I don't mind a little thiccness.

I mainly code java, c, python, html. I also use Android Studio and Swift.

And my budget is $800.

Hey, I just recently got a gaming laptop in that price range. Granted it's gaming, but it will have all the horsepower you need. 

Best Buy Link (apparently I can't find my exact model on amazon)

Specs: i5 9300H, 8GB RAM, GTX 1650 Mobile, 128GB SSD (Windows installed on), 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 1080p IPS Screen

I got it for $800 on sale in August.

I definitely would put a better SSD and HDD in it, as well as maybe another 8GB RAM. The battery is around 6-8hr with power saving on and the keyboard backlight off. 

7 minutes ago, rcardocg said:

Hey guys, I'm a software engineer student and I want to update my laptop, but I don´t know what should I buy. I would like to know what you guys recommend. I just need it to code, i usually don't have time to game. A thin and light would be good, but I don't mind a little thiccness.

I mainly code java, c, python, html. I also use Android Studio and Swift.

And my budget is $800.

I would buy a Surface Pro and dedicate it, which means no gaming on it of course.  Or you buy a laptop and you can game on it but it wont be pleasant at 800 dollars.  Think about it a little, the Surface Pro is perfect for your situation, especially the fact you don't really game, in which case I would use a desktop for that.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I would buy a Surface Pro and dedicate it, which means no gaming on it of course.  Or you buy a laptop and you can game on it but it wont be pleasant at 800 dollars.  Think about it a little, the Surface Pro is perfect for your situation, especially the fact you don't really game, in which case I would use a desktop for that.

I completely forgot about the Surface lineup. Definitely an option, but I play more games than I do code (HTML/CSS, Python) so I was a bit biased.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, Calamity1911 said:

Hey, I just recently got a gaming laptop in that price range. Granted it's gaming, but it will have all the horsepower you need. 

Best Buy Link (apparently I can't find my exact model on amazon)

Specs: i5 9300H, 8GB RAM, GTX 1650 Mobile, 128GB SSD (Windows installed on), 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 1080p IPS Screen

I definitely would put a better SSD and HDD in it, as well as maybe another 8GB RAM. The battery is around 6-8hr with power saving on and the keyboard backlight off. 

I'm looking at this as an option as well. I would use it for light gaming and some work as well. I already have 2x 240GB SSD I would use to replace the ones inside. The reviews are good?

1 hour ago, Andrewf said:

I'm looking at this as an option as well. I would use it for light gaming and some work as well. I already have 2x 240GB SSD I would use to replace the ones inside. The reviews are good?

There are two M.2 ports built in, and a 2.5" bay (with the 1tb HDD in it) so you might not be able to get both SSDs in. One of the M.2 ports is SATA and PCIe with the second one being PCIe only. I currently have a 500gb WD Black NVMe drive in one of the ports and a cheap 250gb SSD in the other for Linux. 

In terms of personal opinion, I do like the laptop, but the screen isn't that vibrant. That's the main gripe I have with it.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, Calamity1911 said:

There are two M.2 ports built in, and a 2.5" bay (with the 1tb HDD in it) so you might not be able to get both SSDs in. One of the M.2 ports is SATA and PCIe with the second one being PCIe only. I currently have a 500gb WD Black NVMe drive in one of the ports and a cheap 250gb SSD in the other for Linux. 

In terms of personal opinion, I do like the laptop, but the screen isn't that vibrant. That's the main gripe I have with it.

That's really helpful to know. If I end up getting this I'll definitely get an M.2 upgrade option and use my current SSD for the 2.5" bay. I've been looking for an M.2 option for my current desktop rig but the support on z87 is very iffy even with adapters.