gui based file server software for Linux

adiack
Go to solution Solved by adiack,

just use unraid or freenas

i am trying to set my server up as a file server but cant deal very well with a terminal and was wondering if anyone new a software for that 

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

Using a CLI actually isn't all that intimidating. I wrote a guide on how to set one up without a GUI. Management after initial install isn't complicated.

But if you want a GUI I can recommend something like FreeNAS. It's based off of FreeBSD. It uses a WebUI for management. Admittedly it does have it's short comings so depending on what else you're looking to have the server do it may not be the best choice for you.

thnx i will take a look

i take i thoe it is recomended for a server to use something like ubuntu server instead of ubuntu 

8 minutes ago, adiack said:

thnx i will take a look

There are similar options available such as NAS4Free & Rockstor. Each have unique features to themselves.

If you find that these don't offer as diverse of functions as you are looking for you can install something like Debain or CentOS. From here install a desktop (install a GUI) then install each specific component you want for the server. This offers the most flexibility.

7 minutes ago, adiack said:

i take i thoe it is recomended for a server to use something like ubuntu server instead of ubuntu 

Realistically there isn't a significant difference between the two besides the features they come with. You could adapt a desktop version of Ubuntu to act as a server by installing server components such as SAMBA & OpenSSH-server. It is however more appropriate to install the server version for a server build. Do note this will not come with a GUI. You have to install one (luckily this is very easy).

• 5 months later...

just use unraid or freenas