RAM not running on supposed speed

I noticed my ram is not running at full speed and it's also not being displayed on task manager like I saw from other users. Also, I noticed speed is showing differently on different places (Unless I misunderstood what I'm reading). Is there a setting I need to turn on or do I have a broken ram? I never do overclocking.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, default settings

Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan 8 GB, default settings

Gigabyte Auros Elite X570, F5B BIOS, using latest chipset driver

2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, A2 B2 slot, XMP = Profile1, default settings CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

Seasonic S12II 620w 80Plus Bronze

Here are some screenshots showing the ram speed on different softwares:

https://prnt.sc/pmyu3f
https://prnt.sc/pmyucd

https://prnt.sc/pmz14s

https://prnt.sc/pnaaf7

https://prnt.sc/pnnjxf

You will technically need to overclock your RAM to get it to work at the advertised speeds. Its completely safe as long as you do not go above the speeds that your RAM is rated for, in your case 3200 MHz. Its a simple change in the BIOS settings, I had this same exact problem with my RAM.

I have 2x16 GB Corsair 2933MHz W/ RGB and it is working completely fine and stable at its rated 2933 MHz after a simple change in the BIOS settings.

8 minutes ago, CaptainCapitalism said:

You will technically need to overclock your RAM to get it to work at the advertised speeds. Its completely safe as long as you do not go above the speeds that your RAM is rated for, in your case 3200 MHz. Its a simple change in the BIOS settings, I had this same exact problem with my RAM.

I have 2x16 GB Corsair 2933MHz W/ RGB and it is working completely fine and stable at its rated 2933 MHz after a simple change in the BIOS settings.

Oh. So this is normal? Say I oc it to 3000MHz, is it really much difference from the default?

if you want the rated speed on the box, you have to enable DOCP. Just go into bios --> advanced settings and there will be an option to enable it. I've never used a gigabyte board, but on asus its called "ai overclock tuner"

you won't have to adjust anything manually unless your system becomes unstable. If the system is unstable with DOCP on, typically (but not always) a slight increase in memory voltage fixes it

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

if you want the rated speed on the box, you have to enable DOCP. Just go into bios --> advanced settings and there will be an option to enable it. I've never used a gigabyte board, but on asus its called "ai overclock tuner"

you won't have to adjust anything manually unless your system becomes unstable. If the system is unstable with DOCP on, typically (but not always) a slight increase in memory voltage fixes it

Thanks, I'll try that. Do I enable both DOCP and XMP Profile1 at the same time?

Just now, Robozookie said:

Thanks, I'll try that. Do I enable both DOCP and XMP Profile1 at the same time?

after some quick research, it looks like gigabyte mobos call it XMP, which is the same thing but typically reserved for intel. most AMD boards use DOCP, but its the same thing

does your bios have both?

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

after some quick research, it looks like gigabyte mobos call it XMP, which is the same thing but typically reserved for intel. most AMD boards use DOCP, but its the same thing

does your bios have both?

Oh that's right. I read from other posts as well. Also checked and only see XMP on bios.

20 minutes ago, CaptainCapitalism said:

this is mostly right. I just want to clarify that you can safely overclock beyond the rated speeds. They only thing that will hurt your memory is if you over-volt it. It can often be more work than its worth to go beyond xmp/docp settings, but it is pretty safe so long as you keep voltage below 1.4v

you could get your kit to 3200mhz but you might need to loosen the timings. again, often more work than worth

Just now, Robozookie said:

Oh that's right. I read from other posts as well. Also checked and only see XMP on bios.

XMP it is then!

id also suggest downloading hwinfo64 if you havent already. its much more accurate than task manager (and most other software) and has a lot of useful tools for checking speeds, voltages, temps, etc 

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

this is mostly right. I just want to clarify that you can safely overclock beyond the rated speeds. They only thing that will hurt your memory is if you over-volt it. It can often be more work than its worth to go beyond xmp/docp settings, but it is pretty safe so long as you keep voltage below 1.4v

you could get your kit to 3200mhz but you might need to loosen the timings. again, often more work than worth

Hmm.. Seems from what you are saying, it's not worth it for very basic users like me. I might just keep what I have since it's stable.

3 minutes ago, Derrk said:

XMP it is then!

id also suggest downloading hwinfo64 if you havent already. its much more accurate than task manager (and most other software) and has a lot of useful tools for checking speeds, voltages, temps, etc 

One of the screenshots on the original post is this https://prnt.sc/pmz14s from HWiNFO64. Do you mind checking on what it says on the memory? I'm pretty sure clock = speed of the ram, but I'm seeing a multiple 'clock' and not sure which is which.

1 minute ago, Robozookie said:

Hmm.. Seems from what you are saying, it's not worth it for very basic users like me. I might just keep what I have since it's stable.

you should be fine with just xmp, since 3200mhz is the sweet spot for ryzen. This was more directed at @CaptainCapitalism, in case he wanted to try overclocking a bit further

2 minutes ago, Robozookie said:

One of the screenshots on the original post is this https://prnt.sc/pmz14s from HWiNFO64. Do you mind checking on what it says on the memory? I'm pretty sure clock = speed of the ram, but I'm seeing a multiple 'clock' and not sure which is which.

i'd guess this screenshot is before enabling xmp? it shows your memory speed at 2133mhz, which is default. In the middle left column, it tells you under "current performance settings" that your memory is running at 1064.7mhz. just multiply by 2 to see your total frequency. with xmp/docp it should be reading about 1600mhz

Unfortunately, XMP is already enabled. Unlike other info I've read from other ram sticks, I only have one option for XMP.