Turbo boost not working properly

guy213

The turbo boost in my laptop's cpu is not working properly.

This is a Dell laptop (inspiron 5559).

It's cpu is intel 6260u, which has a base clock of 1.8ghz, and a turbo clock of 2.9ghz.

But the max clock I'm getting is 2.0 ghz (no matter what I do).

I checked that the turbo boost is enabled in the uefi, and that the power saving mode is set to maximum performance.

I have another laptop in the house (asus laptop with intel 8250u), and I get the max turbo boost clock easily..

I really tried googling for hours for a solution, but I didnt find one..

Do you have an idea whats causing this?

when you are testing the cpu, are you doing multi core or all core test?

the turbo clock you see is only for 1 CORE. when you stress all the cores, the max clock decreases. its just shady marketing that intel and amd both do. 

intel is worse because the turbo is also only for a short period. it will boost up, then after about 20 seconds, it will drop to something lower. 

the specs of the 6260 show that the dual core turbo should be 2.7 which you arent getting either. 

download intel xtu (dont touch anything yet) and run the stress test. does xtu show you being limited in either thermal, power, or voltage?

I assume this is a thermal throttle. Essentially your CPU is getting too hot and it'll down clock itself in order to save itself from blowing up (not literally).

2 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

I assume this is a thermal throttle. Essentially your CPU is getting too hot and it'll down clock itself in order to save itself from blowing up (not literally).

The temps of the cores (according to aida64) are not going above 56 celcius, and the cpu is rated 100c at max temp..

So I don't think thats the problem..

Just now, guy213 said:

The temps of the cores (according to aida64) are not going above 56 celcius, and the cpu is rated 100c at max temp..

So I don't think thats the problem..

No that seems normal. warm but not near enough to thermal throttle