X299 vs Z390 overclocking

Hi,

Why is it so difficult or almost impossible to overclock Skylake-X processors close to 5.0Ghz?

I'm being pushed to get a HEDT platform because of the extra lanes, but this reduces overclocking headroom. Do you think will change for Cascade Lake-X?

Because skylake-x are based on the Skylake cores (maybe also on Kaby later), not on coffee lake, but I am not sure about the 9800X series chips.

And we all know how hard it was to get a 6700k anywhere close to 5 ghz.

And ignoring ring mesh issues, it's difficult to get a large # of cores to run all at the same guardband (voltage/speed headroom).  Intel bins dies in such a way that all dies on a package should have a similar VID and overclocking range.  Getting 16 cores that are capable of reaching 4.8 ghz at 1.30v is a lot harder than getting 16 cores that can reach 4.4 ghz at 1.30v, for an example.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:42 PM, Falkentyne said:

Because skylake-x are based on the Skylake cores (maybe also on Kaby later), not on coffee lake, but I am not sure about the 9800X series chips.

And we all know how hard it was to get a 6700k anywhere close to 5 ghz.

And ignoring ring mesh issues, it's difficult to get a large # of cores to run all at the same guardband (voltage/speed headroom).  Intel bins dies in such a way that all dies on a package should have a similar VID and overclocking range.  Getting 16 cores that are capable of reaching 4.8 ghz at 1.30v is a lot harder than getting 16 cores that can reach 4.4 ghz at 1.30v, for an example.

So it's really number of the cores and nothing to do with the X299 platform.

I'll go for a 10900X core CPU and see how far they can push that.