High-end rig, start from zero

This is going to be quite a read, you've been warned ?

Hello everyone ?
So, after my current setup (6600k @4.4GHz all core & GTX1080) is starting to show it's age in modern Triple-A games and my birthday is coming up soon I've devided to start a new build completely from scratch.

1. Budget & Location

I am located in Austria, where there's sadly absolutely no kangaroos and I plan to spend about 3000-3500€ (roughly equals to 3300-3900 $US and 4400-5100 $CAD) but that's not a hardwall limit. Don't get me wrong, of course I plan to stay within the budget to some degree but I won't go and hang myself with a powercord if I overspend a little bit, talking about the 10%ish range.

2. Aim

The main focus is going to be gaming (1440p G-Sync 144Hz monitor) and procrastinating on the internet aka. watching Youtube videos. I've always wanted to get into gamedesign but never found the time to do so - probably I'll find some time in the future and I'd like to be set for that to a certain degree.

I play games like Minesweeper, Candy Crush and some browsergames.... ? jk

I play mostly Triple-A titles, for instance Forza Horizon 4, Division 2, Anno 1800, Ghost Recon Breakpoint (that's where the idea startet as I was experiencing performance issues and stuttering), Red Dead Redemption 2, probably Grid, probably Need for Speed Heat, when it releases Watchdogs Legion and of course the obvious Cyberpunk 2077. Whenever it releases Dying Light 2.

With my current hardware pick I'll also get 3 free games which are: The Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, CoD Modern Warfare and 3 months free Xbox Game Pass so I'd also get to play Gears 5 I think.

3. Monitors

I am currently running two monitors, both 2560x1440, both IPS, one of them GSync 144Hz (currently not OCd to 165) the other one regular 60Hz being only a side monitor. ((Acer Predator XB271HU and Dell U2715H)) Both connected to DP.

At this moment I'm not planning on changing anything about the monitors, however, IF a proper 4k GSync monitor with high refresh rates shows up for an acceptable price I'd be very tempted. I know, there is the Acer Predator XB3 which is basically the successor to my monitor but I strongly dislike the wide bezels - my monitors are both slim bezel at the moment and I don't like the idea of giving that up as they're side by side as close as possible on monitor arms.

4. Peripherals

There's no plan the purchase new peripherals. Currently on Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, a Roccat Nyth for in-game and a Logitech MX Master for superior desktop mousing.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading mainly because I've been experiencing some quite annoying stutter from time to time in Ghost Recon Breakpoint and I'm concerned that might as well happen with the upcoming games. My CPU being pinned to 100% basically all the time, my setup is now about 4 years old and a round-numbered birthday is coming up...  and I've got nothing else "stupidly overpriced" to gift myself that I definitely "need", I'm sure many of you know what I mean.

Of course I wouldn't HAVE to, I could as well lower my expectations a bit, I'm indeed aware of that, but I'm not really the person to do so and I also don't mind it being somewhat overkill for what I really would need, so that's that - and that's how they always get me, it happened when buying a car, it happened when buying a motorcycle, it literally always happens - I know, first world problems 10/10 and nobody would believe me if I said I'm the victim in all of this.

So here's my current hardware picks, of course those vendors and prices are not applicable to me being in Europe:

I'v already got my dirty paws on the D15 chromax - but I did get some weird special edition, I don't know, Noctua seem to have teamed up with some Youtube guy named Linus?! Anyone heard of him? He seems to be wearing socks and sandals a lot while dropping stuff and he keeps telling me about Glasswire ? 

My thoughts and why I picked these components: this is going to be be quite a read

Spoiler

CPU: After racking my brain for literally days about this I ended up with the 3900x.

I was thinking about getting the 9900k for quite some time, it being THE gaming CPU, but only until I've learned that Intel started binning the chips for the upcoming 9900ks so hard that the 9900k is basically no fun anymore - quite the obvious thing to do but still...

I know even trying to "future proof" a PC is a contradiction in itself but I don't see any disadvantage going with the 3900x over the 3700x/3800x. I guess you can't have enough cores, maybe even in the near future, as clockspeed has not increased that much in the last couple years.

The cost for the 3900x are 529€, 9900k currently at 509€.

Cooler: Well, when the video aired I knew I had to try my luck and get one, at this point in time I was only starting to think about building a new system. If AMD is confident you can cool a 3900x with the included aircooler I allow myself to be confident to be able to cool that thing with a D15. I'm not planning to do some massive overclocks as the potential in general seems to be pretty low after all.

I was considering to custom watercool everything but the overall price of just the cooling parts, the added complexity and the, at some point in time needed, maintenance turned me off quite a bit, so I decided to stick with the D15 for now. For RAM clearance I'll probably replace the outer D15 fan with a NF-F12 chromax.

D15 already on hand, paid 99,90€ for that

Motherboard: Well, this was quite the experience as well until I decided what to go with.

In the beginning I had planned to cram all the hardware in a Mini ITX case. Being afraid the performance would suffer in such a small case and only barely being able to fit all the hardware I wanted inside that form factor comfortably I moved away from that (would have gotten a LianLi TU150)

With some stages in between and speccing probably 15 systems with different motherboards, GPUs, CPUs and cases (oh my, SO MANY CASES!) I ended up going with Fullsize ATX again and with the X570 Aorus Ultra.

I know it's not the cheapest but I really like the looks of it, it seems to have quite good power stages and as you can't really get around the RBG madness these days I might as well celebrate it hard ?

Priced at ~295€

Memory: Thats a choice I'm VERY unsure about. After being "locked down" to 2 sticks which Mini ITX would have allowed me after switching back to ATX in the end I considered going 32GB.

But here's the fun part: I don't know what kit to pick.

Currently I'm considering getting one of these kits:

1) 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-16-16-36 (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN) which are three things: on the motherboards QVL list, apparently Samsungs B-Die and quite expensive checking in at about 360€

2) 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-19-19-39 (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC) which are two things: on the motherboards QVL list and a lot cheaper than the above, costing about 225€, not B-Die though.

Are the tighter timings and being B-Die worth the premium for #1? I really have no idea ?

As far as I've learned 3600 CL16 is the sweetspot for Ryzen because of the infinity fabric speed and such.

The Trident Z Neo are supposedly able to work with Aorus' RGB Fusion which would be nice as there'd be less bloatware clutter.

My idea about going with 32GB was, at least to some degree, about not having to care about Chrome staying open with one trillion tabs while gaming.

Priced at 360€ or 225€

Storage: Going X570 why not get storage that can actually use the potential for the boot drive with the 1TB Aorus NVMe Gen 4 - about 230€, the Corsair MP600 Gen 4 would come in at 228€ so basically no difference there and the Aorus got that dapper looking copper heatspreader (I'm definitely willing to spend 2€ extra for just that ?)

Maybe I'll steal the 1.5TB spindrive out of my current rig with all the data already on there, maybe I'll get a Samsung 860 QVO 2TB (~220€) for some additional storage if needed later on. Maybe even another M.2 if price and capacity are right.

Priced at 230€

GPU: Going with a Hybrid (can you still call it Hybrid if there's no spinny thingy on there anymore?) is a at first a remainder of wanting to go with a smaller form factor BUT sticking with it would allow me to vertical mount the GPU with basically no penalties. Going aircooled I couldn't do that because most of the 2080TIs are more than 2 slot and would block the side panel - and if it would still close it would probably choke the card. The 240 AiO mounted to the card will be the front intake of the case.

Going with the Aorus card does allow me perfect compatibility (reducing RBG control clutter again) and as I paid for all the fancy pants hardware I might as well look at it through a glass panel.

I did take AiO failure into consideration - should it fail before I'm willing to replace it, while being out of warranty already, I can pull the AiO off and go full custom loop as the Aorus EK block should fit on it as far as I've read. Would cause some additional cost down the road but that's just how AiO life is I guess.

Priced at 1479€ (plus ~30€ for Phanteks angled riser cable for vertical mount)

Case: Wanting to go small form factor before I was looking for a non-giant ATX case which the H510i is. The non-i H510 unfortunately doesn't feature vertical mounting as a standard -.-

I like the look of it, it's not that enormous in size (I want to put in on my desk instead of underneath it, that's why the original idea was Mini ITX...)

As far as I could research it fits all the components pretty well, with vertical GPU filling up the ugly hole between CPU cooler and PSU shroud while keeping expandability should it ever be needed (having to mount the GPU horizontal then of course). The Fractal Meshify C Mini seems to be not deep enough unfortunately, would probably have gone with that if it had fit.

Priced at 110€

PSU: Honestly that's quite a random pick. Something reputable with enough headroom. Haven't spent a lot of time thinking about that. I will get some black individually sleeved Phanteks extensions for it though.

PSU priced at 108€, Extensions priced at ~30€

Summary:

CPU € 529 € 529
Cooler € 100 € 100
Mobo € 295 € 295
Memory € 360 € 225
Storage € 230 € 230
GPU + Riser € 1.509 € 1.509
Case € 110 € 110
PSU + ext. € 140 € 140
TOTAL € 3.273 € 3.138

Promo CPU: The Outer Worlds + Borderlands 3 + Xbox Game Pass 3 months (yes, all of them, not either one, I did consider getting the 2 games even without the promo)

Promo GPU: CoD Modern Warfare (played the beta, seems ok, probably would not have gotten that for full price plus it's a BlizzAct game and I'm not a big fan of what they're doing at the moment)

You've finally made it through. If there's a typo please forgive me, english is not my first language - you may keep said typo as a little something for your time ?

Please excuse the essay-length but I spent the last days and nights trying to figure this out.

Let me know your thoughts on all of that hot mess.

I desparately need help picking RAM, PLEASE ?

Thank you for taking the time, have a great day.

PS: love you Linus & LTT ?

Ram isn't that complicated, for your budget you'd want more than 16GB in atleast 2 or more sticks and above 3000MHz the higher the better.

Maybe this ram, its american amazon but if you could find an Austrian equivalent that would work great.

thank you for your answer.
I can indeed find that, it's about 130€ to get, "only" 3200 though. "the higher the better", right ;)

that's why I was thinking about 4x8GB to populate all slots and as speed and timings seem to plummet the higher capacity you go.

3 minutes ago, BoringBadger said:

"only" 3200 though. "the higher the better"

Not technically. Generally around 3000Mhz is the sweet spot for RAM. 3200 is definitely enough for most people.

4 minutes ago, BoringBadger said:

that's why I was thinking about 4x8GB to populate all slots

Get a 2x8GB kit unless you really need 32GB.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Build looks good to me. Perhaps a slight better motherboard 

edit; rather go for 2*16 GB 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not technically. Generally around 3000Mhz is the sweet spot for RAM. 3200 is definitely enough for most people.

Get a 2x8GB kit unless you really need 32GB.

thanks for the input.

I recall reading something during the last days of ram actually having an influence in overall gaming performance - granted, not like +-10% but a couple FPS after all (I know, I know, one would go FPS hunting with a 9900ks ^^)

When choosing 3200 would going for tighter timings be worth it?

Something like 3200, 14-14-14-34, F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR ((aprox. 330€))

7 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

I still suggest going mini itx tbh. A good tower style case like the fractal design define nano S would hold the parts size wise and still offer pretty great thermals with the dual 140mm intakes

I've already thought about that but unfortunately I'm afraid it will neither fit the D15 nor the GPU

It would be not wide enough for the D15 (height 165) allowing CPU cooler height max 160

Also it would most likely be not deep enough to house GPU its AiO allowing 315 GPU length while the card measuring 291mm excl. the rad+fans adding another 40-50mm I guess.
And I couldn't go with another GPU as it only allows Dual Slot.
That's why the TU150 with it's Mini DTX support would have been one of the very few cases that allow triple slot cards.

12 minutes ago, BoringBadger said:

thanks for the input.

I recall reading something during the last days of ram actually having an influence in overall gaming performance - granted, not like +-10% but a couple FPS after all (I know, I know, one would go FPS hunting with a 9900ks ^^)

When choosing 3200 would going for tighter timings be worth it?

Something like 3200, 14-14-14-34, F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR ((aprox. 330€))

Not worth enough to truly matter, in my opinion.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

I still suggest going mini itx

A mini itx motherboard might not have good enough VRMs to handle a 3900x or overclock it, also itx cases don't have as good airflow for a 3900x and 2080ti

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ok, that actually helps a lot basically about not caring for B-Die and going for something aesthetically pleasing from the QVL list... i'll probably end up buying into the Trident Z RGB madness in the end... 

Edit: but I'm really happy and impressed for the moment, that until now noone is yelling at me for what I configured being a miserable bound to fail contraption 

Edit2: the only thing I got to keep in mind for ram is still the height. Even after switching the outer one of the D15 fans to a 120mm I still only have a max of 45mm ((case allows max CPU cooler height 165mm, that's the exact height of the D15, so a 120mm fan pushed to the farthest away position from the motherboard would allow 165-120=45, please correct me if I missed on something))

An internet search using "Zen 2 memory scaling" will turn up several good links to articles/videos with data for various speeds and program types.

I'd suggest getting a 2x16GB memory kit rather than 4x8GB. Unless you really want B-die.

Tall memory modules with an NH-D15 is a less than optimal combination. Since you already have the cooler, I'd suggest using lower profile memory modules. Corsair Vengeance LPX would be a good choice.

Consider a better psu. Corsair RMX or Seasonic Prime would be my suggestion.

Are the prices on de.pcpartpicker.com closer to those in kangarooless Austria?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The only things I can see in the build:

• PSU is massively overkill. Even 650w would likely be fine. More in this case does absolutely nothing.
  • Get dual channel memory. IIRC AM4 isn't quad channel.
  • I personally wouldn't bother with the expensive NMVE drive.
1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends, I've seen some in depth testing that shows 10fps - 20fps more with higher speed RAM across quite a few titles. Pretty good gains for a pretty small investment.

1 hour ago, BoringBadger said:

ok, that actually helps a lot basically about not caring for B-Die and going for something aesthetically pleasing from the QVL list... i'll probably end up buying into the Trident Z RGB madness in the end... 

Edit: but I'm really happy and impressed for the moment, that until now noone is yelling at me for what I configured being a miserable bound to fail contraption 

Edit2: the only thing I got to keep in mind for ram is still the height. Even after switching the outer one of the D15 fans to a 120mm I still only have a max of 45mm ((case allows max CPU cooler height 165mm, that's the exact height of the D15, so a 120mm fan pushed to the farthest away position from the motherboard would allow 165-120=45, please correct me if I missed on something))

With Ryzen I'd follow the QVL list like it's a bible.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

first of all: thank you for all the input so far!

7 hours ago, brob said:

An internet search using "Zen 2 memory scaling" will turn up several good links to articles/videos with data for various speeds and program types.

I'd suggest getting a 2x16GB memory kit rather than 4x8GB. Unless you really want B-die.

Tall memory modules with an NH-D15 is a less than optimal combination. Since you already have the cooler, I'd suggest using lower profile memory modules. Corsair Vengeance LPX would be a good choice.

Consider a better psu. Corsair RMX or Seasonic Prime would be my suggestion.

Are the prices on de.pcpartpicker.com closer to those in kangarooless Austria?

Thanks for the lecture tip, I'll make a search for that today.

I don't necessarily WANT B-Die, it's just that I've read it is THE thing to get.

As said, I could switch one fan to get up to 45mm RAM clearance. Won't have to do that with the Vengeance LPX, I'm aware of that.

I know you should never skimp on your PSU but hadn't thought that there'd be in fact a noticable difference between RM and RMx series, but I'll switch that - the RMx seems to be quieter.

The prices on de.pcpartpicker.com are a lot closer, I just didn't know that de. was a thing, I will in fact source CPU and GPU from germany I think as the prices and availability are better.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

The only things I can see in the build:

• PSU is massively overkill. Even 650w would likely be fine. More in this case does absolutely nothing.
  • Get dual channel memory. IIRC AM4 isn't quad channel.
  • I personally wouldn't bother with the expensive NMVE drive.

Depends, I've seen some in depth testing that shows 10fps - 20fps more with higher speed RAM across quite a few titles. Pretty good gains for a pretty small investment.

With Ryzen I'd follow the QVL list like it's a bible.

Will scale down CPU and switch it out for RMx 750 -- why 750? because it's easier available than 650 and barely any price difference.

Dual channel: I totally overlooked that - 2x16 it is then! Switched to Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x16 3200 CL16-18-18-36 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16), would still have wanted to go 3600 but I can't seem to find any, for instance LPX, kits that come in a "small" kit with only 2 sticks - there is indeed an 3600 16GB density LPX kit on the QVL but it seems to only come in 4x16 and not 2x16

(this one CMK64GX4M4B3600C18). Same goes for G.Skill 3600s, the only 16GB density sticks come in 4x16 kits.

Well, the NVMe thing... I definitely want to go M.2 that's for sure as it's easy and cable-free, but granted, the Aorus drive is of course eye candy (with it's nice looks and the datasheet)

Here's the updated list, de. list with adequate prices, the CPU is off a bit though, 529€ is still the price at the moment.

New RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) >>> Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x16 3200 CL16-18-18-36, CMK32GX4M2B3200C16, quite competitively priced at 130€ I must say.

New PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W >>> Corsair RM750x 2018

28 minutes ago, BoringBadger said:

I'd suggest those changes, 3600MHz cl16 which is better for Zen 2 (but pricier).

Another Gen 4 NVMe for a little less.

Non watercooled GPU for the same performance. Unless you want to vertically mount the GPU then it's OK I guess.

And as you said RM650 for 25€ less and it's better with some room.

6 hours ago, Plouffe said:

I'd suggest those changes, 3600MHz cl16 which is better for Zen 2 (but pricier).

Another Gen 4 NVMe for a little less.

Non watercooled GPU for the same performance. Unless you want to vertically mount the GPU then it's OK I guess.

And as you said RM650 for 25€ less and it's better with some room.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm currently trying to find a good kit on the motherbaords QVL, but there don't seem to be any 3600 CL 16 kits with 16GB sticks that would only be 2 sticks in a kit making it 32. All of these kits are 64GB unfortunately.

The price drop to this NVMe drive is quite insignificant as the fancy Aorus copper thing goes for 230€ but thank you for suggesting (the price in de.partpicker is off a little). In the price search engine this drive didn't show up because it isn't properly listed like the other drives. ((using Geizhals for those who are curious))

I do plan to mount vertically as this closes the gap between CPU cooler and PSU shroud and puts the RGB madness on the GPU to show.

PSU I'm not too sure, but as far as I've read the overall build quality of RMx is WAY better than RM while the price difference isn't that big at all. Found the RMx 650 for 99,90€ on Amazon, guess I'll go with that as 650 said to be enough.

OK guys and girls - update time.

I just commited to this whole thing, the most expensive components are hereby checked off and all the sweet promotions shall be mine.

Just ordered from a german vendor, all in stock:

€ 553,61   CPU: 3900x
€ 1.491,43   GPU: 2080ti Aorus Waterforce Extreme
€ 220,84   Storage: Aorus Gen.4 NVMe M.2 1TB
€ 11,08   Shipping
€ 2.276,96   TOTAL

CPU: unfortunately they have raised the price a little bit since yesterday, but it's still the best price I can get from a vendor with a good reputation, the price in the shop is 549 but there's a 1% Tax difference with Austria being at 20% and Germany at 19% so that's where the wonky prices come from. I assume they're playing the old "oh, people want this and it's sold out everywhere so let's bump up the price"-game.

GPU: no price bumps, just the tax difference

Storage: at least I shaved off another 10€ on that compared to buying it in Austria

Now the quest for finding good RAM may continue

Onwards Mr. Bankaccount, get to the carriage, we still need to buy some more stuff

Edit:

Also just ordered a 30cm 90° PCIe 3.0 16x Riser cable -- 30€

Edit 2:

I tried reversing the whole QVL stuff and tried searching if the RAM manufacturers tested.

Long story short: Corsair faceplanted hard as they haven't got one single Gigabyte / Aorus X570 board listed.

G.Skill seems to have done some testing with the X570 Aorus Ultra (or at least calculated compatibility from datasheets?)

I might have just found the RAM I'd like to go with.

2x16GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-19-19-39  // F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

Priced at acceptable 190€

However: They are NOT on the motherboards QVL but G.Skill claims they are indeed compatible.

Any thoughts on this? Is the RAM manufacturers site a trustworthy source in this case? Not like "yea sure, buy our stuff, it works... trust us... it really does, seriously, buy it already!"  ?

As I am not sure if external links are accepted around here I won't post any but I'm sure you can find it real quick.

I googled "F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC QVL"

Edit 2.1:

Looking stuff up I randomly came across a video of one guy having exactly these sticks from above installed on a X570 E-Gaming Mobo with an R5 3600 - seems to be working well.

Feedback and thoughts very much appreciated

Motherboad manufacturers can't test every possible memory kit. G.Skill and Crucial have very good motherboard QVL. As you have found Corsair  motherboard memory ALL is pretty pathetic. 

For Corsair an internet search of the memory part number and motherboard name can sometimes provide results. Dont forget to eliminate the color code section of the part number.

4 hours ago, brob said:

Motherboad manufacturers can't test every possible memory kit. G.Skill and Crucial have very good motherboard QVL. As you have found Corsair  motherboard memory ALL is pretty pathetic. 

Sure they can't, there's like 1 million possible kits out there, but why not just copy from the RAM manufacturers then if they got it available...

Alright then, I'll go with those from up above
2x16GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16-19-19-39  // F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC // 192€

which means: all components finally sorted out, here's the complete list, plusminus a couple cents as those prices are obviously rounded - within budget, nice ?

€ 1.521   GPU + Riser
€ 554   CPU
€ 100   CPU Cooler
€ 298   Mobo
€ 192   Memory
€ 221   M.2 Storage
€ 111   Case
€ 135   PSU + ext.
€ 23   1x NF-F12 (for CPU cooler → RAM clearance)
€ 3.155   TOTAL

So - another update, most likely the last one. **closes about 30 chrome tabs in multiple windows**

Final changes:

• Went with the RM750x in the end because it's got 2x 4/8-Pin ATX12V, as the motherboard does have 1x 8-Pin EPS12V, 1x 4-Pin ATX12V. I somewhat doubt I would have needed the additional 4-pin but oh well. (RM650x would only have had 1x 8-pin)
  • For the moment I ditched the extensions. These might come at a later point in time. Primarily because I couldn't find any with all the cables I would have used (the 4-pin from above) and the one I wanted Amazon was messing with me with the shipping options, so I skipped it for now. The standard RM750x cables are all black.

Got everything ordered during the day, should have all parts on hand mid next week I hope.
Friday next week is holiday in Austria so that's gonna be a fun extended weekend and right in time for Red Dead release on Nov. 5th ?

Here's the complete build with the final prices:

$CAD   $US   Paid €   Price €    
$801,29   $613,35   € 553,61   € 553,61   Ryzen 3900x
$432,75   $331,26   € 298,99   € 298,99   X570 Aorus Ultra
$2.158,67   $1.652,38   € 1.491,43   € 1.491,43   Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce
$17,35   $13,28   € 11,99   € 36,99   300mm Riser Cable
$277,88   $212,71   € 191,99   € 191,99   G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600, 2x16GB Kit
                CL16-19-19-39, (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
$319,64   $244,67   € 220,84   € 220,84   Aorus NVMe Gen4 1TB
$0,00   $0,00   € 0,00   € 27,99   Noctua NF-F12 chromax (for the needed RAM clearance)
$144,59   $110,68   € 99,90   € 99,90   Noctua NH-D15 chromax LTT Edition
$160,46   $122,82   € 110,86   € 110,86   NZXT H510i
$163,54   $125,18   € 112,99   € 112,99   Corsair RM750x
$16,04   $12,28   € 11,08   € 11,08   Shipping in total
$4.492,21   $3.438,61   € 3.103,68   € 3.156,67   TOTAL

I know that the NF-F12 and the riser cable were overpriced, but I had some giftcards flying around for ages for those particular two stores so why not make use of them.

So as this is basically the last real update on my quest of hunting down all the components:
THANK ALL OF YOU SO MUCH for the help and knowledge you provided to me and for not yelling at me for not sticking with it all the time.

I'm tipping my imaginary hat for all of you ?

As this seems to be the end let me know if you'd be interested in a mini build log, nothing fancy probably just photos of a truckload of boxes, expensive components that have been dropped, some cable management and pics of the final result. 

Corsair has colored replacement psu cables which a local merchant may stock. You might also want to check cablemod.

Build logs are always welcome. There is a section for them. But an update here letting us know how things turn out would also be nice.

I've seen the build log section already, I'm thinking about it.

Thanks for suggesting the Corsair and Cablemod Cables.

I've taken a closer look on the cables corsair ships the RM750x with, I already got the PSU on hand... they're an absolute abomination, so I definitely have to get some new cables in there - 6+2 is fine in my book, but splitting it off the existing 6pin with 2cm of cable making it look stupid? Really? Furthermore: daisy chaining ANOTHER 6+2 off the same cable? Why you do this?!

I definitely won't get the Corsair set as I am not giving Corsair one more cent after that. I'm even thinking about returning the PSU and getting something completely different, I consider it that ridiculous and it makes me sort of angry. Saving 3 cents worth of cables on a 100€+ PSU and the cables provided are super stiff so I expect them to be pretty hard to rout properly... I didn't expect silky smooth supersoft sleeved cables, but that's sort of pathetic.

Currently I'm thinhking of a Cablemod kit - either extensions or a full kit (would go CableMod PRO ModMesh C as I really like the look of the closed combs)

Not sure yet if full set, priced 99,89€ or the extension kit, priced 49,89€.... recommendations? Is a full set worth double the price ((the extensions also come with the closed combs))?

I'm leaning towards the full Pro kit, with said closed combs, extensions would provide the benefit of working with any PSU should i I actually return the Corsair one.

I can't decide on what color to go with... it's either black or carbon.

Carbon would probably provide a nice but not too intrusive accent but I don't know if it would match with the rest of the hardware - thoughts on that?

Edit:

As I'd have to spend ~200-220 for PSU and additional cables: are there any PSUs that come with proper cables, already sleeved? Acceptable price for that just changed to ~200-220 for the complete package (except for Corsair, should I decide to return it I'm not getting another one of those)
How's Seasonic doing in that regard, as Seasonic Prime has been suggested?

Disadvantage of extensions is all the cable that has to be hidden.

I can understand the frustration with the RMX cables. My mother has advised on more than one occasion not to cut off my nose to spite my face. IOW keep the RMX. It is a very good psu.

2 hours ago, brob said:

Disadvantage of extensions is all the cable that has to be hidden.

That's what I'm "afraid" of - it would probably be easier and reduce cable clutter a lot so I'm most likely to go with a full kit. Plus I won't have to look at those ghastly stock cables anymore at all...

2 hours ago, brob said:

My mother has advised on more than one occasion not to cut off my nose to spite my face.

What a smart thing to say. I wish I was more even-tempered which I admittedly am not at all ?

2 hours ago, brob said:

IOW keep the RMX. It is a very good psu.

I shall consider that, it being a good PSU.

Thank you.

Good day to you.

Unfortunately the shop which I ordered the motherboard, RAM and case from couldn't manage to get the items available last thursday, last day before the extended weekend, thanks for that

((that's the only missing parts by now - those and the cablemod kit, also ordered at the same shop -.- ))

as this delay got me some more time to think about the build I came across a potential major issue:

I plan to vertical mount the GPU and use my D15.

As it's an AiO GPU (Aorus Extreme Waterforce) it has two tubes coming out of it on top (when vert-mounted) right underneath the D15 and I'm very concerned about clearance between the D15 and said tubes. Any ideas or experiences with that issue?

I've seen some pics online with basically zero to only a few mm of clearance as the D15 is a behemoth (with air cooled cards, so no tubes)

NZXT H500i
2080ti Aorus Waterforce AiO

Noctua D15

If I can't vertical mount the GPU because of that I might as well change the case for something else with better airflow.

@BoringBadger

It will probably conflict even in a bigger case. But since you use a water cooled card, you might as well use an AIO.  Gigabyte has some new 240, 280 and 360mm AIO and it will keep the whole Aorus theme too. It will also prevent any conflict with the GPU vertically mounted.

Edited by LogicalDrm