New Radeon GPU, won't post at all now.

Otto_iii

Edit: The no post, boot etc issue was infact a DOA GPU, disconnecting the 8-pin and listening for if computer beep'd helped confirm this. 

B450m Pro4, 3600, rx580 to rx590
So went out to exchange one GPU since i was having issues with it flashes of images of previous screens i had open moments ago on my monitor (weird issue i know.)  After installing new GPU my normal startup sounds are gone, as in the computer by default normally wooshes the fans, fans calm, then flashes ASRock boot screen, then goes into windows, now it just spins the fans and sits there.  I havent been able to get it to boot from a USB.

So far i have reseating the Graphics Card 2-3 times, checked connection at PSU end (semi modular PSU), nothing nada.  Im going to give it one more go with SDD cables re-checked, but id assume it could atleast boot by USB, or to BIOS screen if SDD wasnt connected properly.

First and foremost i must report that i DID NOT uninstall old graphics driver because it was the same family of cards, same driver, and was running short on time before i headed out with the GPU, however i would assume if this was the issue i could atleast get a boot screen.  After the fact of doing the exchange i have heard people may have issues with Black Screens if they do this with AMD Cards, but im not having a AMD typical black-screen (ive had them before, all audio still worked, keyboard worked, computer was otherwise clearly booting, im not even getting to BIOS!)

Now with above stated, if what issue i am having could be related to me not uninstalling previous graphics driver, is it worth trying to wipe my SSD?  i am willing to wipe the SSD and try that first, but im having doubts this could fix the issue. 

Secondly id like to ask how common it is a GPU can simply be DOA, since my issues are similar to simply a GPU being dead, not connected etc on a AMD based system.  But also i fear my issues are similar to a system being zapped, which i was careful to not do, but i left computer open and downstairs with a cat, which is worrying me the more i think about it. 

8 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Secondly id like to ask how common it is a GPU can simply be DOA, since my issues are similar to simply a GPU being dead, not connected etc on a AMD based system.  But also i fear my issues are similar to a system being zapped, which i was careful to not do, but i left computer open and downstairs with a cat, which is worrying me the more i think about it. 

IIRC its abour 2-5% of the time you'll get a lemon, less for DOA but it does happen. Only suggestion is to put another gpu in your system to see if that was the problem, or boot from somthing else if you can. 

7 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

You probably just had to flash a fresh bios on the first GPU

but where are you getting the GPU(s) from, did you return or exchange the first one?

I have no idea why it wouldn't want to output any video at all or boot that has nothing to do with the driver.

Did you try the other PCI-e slot?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

but where are you getting the GPU(s) from, did you return or exchange the first one?

I have no idea why it wouldn't want to output any video at all or boot that has nothing to do with the driver.

I had the same issue when I first install my 5700XT. But my system is an all new build. New Windows install, drivers and so. When Windows update and reboot itself, it would black screen. Wait 10 min, and rebooted it a few times and have Windows update completed, and all the drivers installed. Never have any black screen again.

23 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

MicroCenter
M-ATX, only one usable PCI slot
Its not no output so much as no boot, the keyboard isnt even lighting up/being detected

16 minutes ago, Deli said:

I had the same issue when I first install my 5700XT. But my system is an all new build. New Windows install, drivers and so. When Windows update and reboot itself, it would black screen. Wait 10 min, and rebooted it a few times and have Windows update completed, and all the drivers installed. Never have any black screen again.

Did you have any notifiacation it was booting at all?  Mine is acting like its a carrier for spinning and lighting the fans and that is it. 
That said it did remember last color i had fans configured to, but not sure that really says much besides the bios still has some memory of where it was last at.

I could just try to leave it running for awhile i suppose.  I wish i could get it to boot even to a USB

I have tried swapping from DVI to Displayport, both at same time etc.  I do not have a HDMI cable on hand to test 3rd option but im not expecting much if it did, its simply not booting in any way shape or form from what i can tell, given keyboard isnt even being recognized. 

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

MicroCenter
M-ATX, only one usable PCI slot
Its not no output so much as no boot, the keyboard isnt even lighting up/being detected

Did you have any notifiacation it was booting at all?  Mine is acting like its a carrier for spinning and lighting the fans and that is it. 
That said it did remember last color i had fans configured to, but not sure that really says much besides the bios still has some memory of where it was last at.

I could just try to leave it running for awhile i suppose.  I wish i could get it to boot even to a USB

The light and fans are spinning, so I knew the computer is on. Except nothing shown on screen.

Turn it off, wait 20 min and try to reboot the system. Also try unplug the power of the monitor, then plug it back. Try different HDMI or Display port of the GPU.

7 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

MicroCenter

That board has 2 Pci-e slots?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/

I would start to blame the motherboard/top PCI-e slot if 2 GPUs have had issues

the only way you're going to know what the issue is, is by using that GPU in a totally different system. Microcenter might have some test systems set up.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

That board has 2 Pci-e slots?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/

I would start to blame the motherboard/top PCI-e slot if 2 GPUs have had issues

the only way you're going to know what the issue is, is by using that GPU in a totally different system. Microcenter might have some test systems set up.

Sorry, thank you yes it does, there is no way for me to try to boot it in the case atleast, i can try to pull it out and boot in test bench sort of configuration though.  Ill try CMOS clear first just incase, but will be a moment as i need to buy a jumper if i want to follow ASRocks guide to the T. 

9 hours ago, Deli said:

The light and fans are spinning, so I knew the computer is on. Except nothing shown on screen.

Turn it off, wait 20 min and try to reboot the system. Also try unplug the power of the monitor, then plug it back. Try different HDMI or Display port of the GPU.

I went out and bought a HDMI cable because ill need it for a different system eventually, the computer has never had a HDMI cable neither has the monitor in it, this did nothing.  

Im going to attempt to clear cmos, i didnt change anything but just incase something not as severe as the board fully getting zapped sparked the system or something. 

If the MOBA did get zapped, my fault, my cats (still my fault cause i left computer out in a area she roams), usually how many components go with it? CPU and Moba, ram, psu? etc? or usually just the motherboard itself? Ive tinkered with a bunch of systems before and so far have been lucky not to zap a moba but its always possible i got unlucky.

Final question for now: If i can get replacements for moba+cpu (etc), same components, is there any reason i need to wipe the SSD?  I have not yet done so as i originally planned, as i figured since it wont even boot to BIOS, or off a USB its not going to help me.

Final Update for this:  It was the GPU. 

Tech guy at MicroCenter mentioned seeing if i could atleast get beeps for error codes by disconnecting 8-pin, doing so showed things were atleast working to point that it checked GPU.  Everything is working great now ?