1440p 60Hz vs 1080p 144Hz

Cs342

I'm going to be building a new system with a 5700 XT and I'm having trouble deciding what monitor under $300 to get. I want an IPS or VA panel with thin bezels and Freesync, but I don't know if I should go for a 24 inch 1080p 144Hz monitor or a 27 inch 1440p 60Hz monitor. I mostly play third person action games and RPGs, so I don't know how much I'd benefit from a 144Hz. On the flip side I've heard that going to 144Hz will ruin the 60Hz experience and ensure that I can never go back. I also watch a lot of Neflix and movies so I'm not sure how well 1080p upscales to 1440p. What monitor should I get? 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

It depends on who you are and your eyes, but I really saw the difference of 144hz. It's much more smooth and it looks much better. It is true, 60hz will look like garbage, but there were times I didn't have my 144hz monitor and I had to readjust to 60hz and it looked normal after like 20 minutes.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

26 minutes ago, mxk said:

It depends on who you are and your eyes, but I really saw the difference of 144hz. It's much more smooth and it looks much better. It is true, 60hz will look like garbage, but there were times I didn't have my 144hz monitor and I had to readjust to 60hz and it looked normal after like 20 minutes.

Does the 144hz affect normal content like 24FPS movies? Will there be any blurring because of that?

If you're patient or you look around you can get 1440p 144hz for your price range, I got my G-Sync one for $350, Freesync ones will be cheaper as well.

30 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Does the 144hz affect normal content like 24FPS movies? Will there be any blurring because of that?

no it'll look like a 24 fps movie unless you get a shitty panel that makes everything on the monitor look bad

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk said:

no it'll look like a 24 fps movie unless you get a shitty panel that makes everything on the monitor look bad

Yup no different than watching 24fps movie on a 60hz panel

I'm in group of people who are rather unimpressed with 144hz I notice the difference when I actively try to but it's just "meh" for me I'm definitively getting more "wow" from higher resolution and screen size rather than 144hz so I recommend checking things in person before bying

and yes I set it to 144hz in nvidia control panel

I don’t really like gaming on 1440p. Think the only game I could was bf1. Got good frames before the patches killed it. 

I cant even stand being on the desktop at 60hz. My 1440 monitor was on sale at 300. I’d go that route if you aren’t gonna primarily play FPS games online. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 10/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, ShadyBeings said:

Yup no different than watching 24fps movie on a 60hz panel

If I get a 144Hz monitor and use my 60Hz monitor as a secondary display, will the refresh rate be tied to the slowest display or is it possible to run both monitors simultaneously? 

On 10/21/2019 at 5:50 AM, Gandorfin said:

I'm in group of people who are rather unimpressed with 144hz I notice the difference when I actively try to but it's just "meh" for me I'm definitively getting more "wow" from higher resolution and screen size rather than 144hz so I recommend checking things in person before bying

and yes I set it to 144hz in nvidia control panel

Another thing I was worried about was whether 144Hz causes eye strain since the monitor refreshes so much quicker. Do you have any insight into this?

7 minutes ago, Cs342 said:

Another thing I was worried about was whether 144Hz causes eye strain since the monitor refreshes so much quicker. Do you have any insight into this?

you mixed up the concept

Hz & eye strain are not related issue

29 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you mixed up the concept

Hz & eye strain are not related issue

I just thought that maybe since the display refreshes so many times it might tire out your eyes to look at it for extended periods compared to 60Hz. I guess not :P I've also read some stuff about 144Hz being better for movies than 60Hz because it's divisible by 24FPS, but not sure how much of a difference that makes in real life

Movies don't make a blind bit of difference from what I can tell. 

I had to re-adjust from 144hz to 60hz when I won a 2080 as it doens't have DVI output and my monitor only does 144hz over DVI so I have quite a good understanding of your questions here!

4 hours ago, Cs342 said:

will the refresh rate be tied to the slowest display

No, it won't, each monitor will run independently UNLESS you 'duplicate' the screens. As long as you extend and not duplicate you'll be fine. 

I genuinely, and I'm not exaggerating, performed a LOT worse at fast paced games, Overwatch being my most notable example for me, when going from 144hz to 60hz, I SUCKED (more than usual) when adjusting down. I simply did not get the accuracy as I could previously.

TL;DR, 144hz all the way

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

1 hour ago, Flobberknock said:

Movies don't make a blind bit of difference from what I can tell. 

I had to re-adjust from 144hz to 60hz when I won a 2080 as it doens't have DVI output and my monitor only does 144hz over DVI so I have quite a good understanding of your questions here!

No, it won't, each monitor will run independently UNLESS you 'duplicate' the screens. As long as you extend and not duplicate you'll be fine. 

I genuinely, and I'm not exaggerating, performed a LOT worse at fast paced games, Overwatch being my most notable example for me, when going from 144hz to 60hz, I SUCKED (more than usual) when adjusting down. I simply did not get the accuracy as I could previously.

TL;DR, 144hz all the way

Thanks! That's really helpfuil :) I'm leaning towards 1080p 144Hz now but I'm worried about losing color accuracy and picture quality because my monitor right now has a 1080p IPS display and most 144Hz 1080p panels are either VA or TN. Do you have any monitor recommendations that don't sacrifice picture quality for high refresh rates?

I don't really, I've never used an IPS display myself but I know someone who has, and going from IPS to anything else is going to hurt you initially...

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

Movies don't make a difference because they are not an unknown series of events happening in real time and they can blend the frames together somewhat to make it look better. 144hz will ruin 60hz for you. 1440p will be better for RPG's. I wouldn't game (at all) on anything less than 144hz because to me it just looks like a slideshow. However some people will not notice. Go see them each in person.

Entertainment PC ~ 9900k - 32gb Ripjaws V CL16 - Aorus Pro Wifi - DRP4 - 240GB Intel SSD - 6TB Conventional HD's - Corsair RM850x - Fractal Mesify C in White - EVGA GTX 980Ti SC

Displays ~ Lenovo g34w-10 (Main) - BenQ XL2540 (Gaming) - 32" Acer ET322QR (For Laptop) - BenQ XL2411 (Backup / In storage) - Vivo STAND-V001JB & STAND-V001T

Peripherals ~ Corsair K68 RGB MX Red - BFO9000 (in progress) - Logitech G900 - Blue Snowball - Bose QC 35 II

Laptop ~ Asus a17 4800H / 16GB / 1TB NVME / 1660Ti / 120hz w/

Second PC ~ i5 8400 / 16GB Ripjaws V CL18 / MSI z370 A-Pro 

Productivity Other ~ Macbook Air 2015 model - Macbook Pro 17" (2011) - iPad Pro 2015 Model w/ Pencil w/ Otterbox Hardcase - Toshiba Satellite S50-D 

Networking ~ Fk off

Bio - Literal Retarded Autist