Need help with server.

Hello all, I am about to be getting a Dell Power edge with windows server essentials. I want this to be a File Server I can access from anywhere I want other than my local network, is it possible to do this with Windows Server 2016 Essentials? Again this is a File Server I want to use to hold projects and footage for my small company. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sounds great, I'm receiving my 2 poweredges' in a week or so, just want to figure things out before hand, I'm guessing there are tutorials for that online so I'll look around. Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, AndrewMKlasen said:

Hello all, I am about to be getting a Dell Power edge with windows server essentials. I want this to be a File Server I can access from anywhere I want other than my local network, is it possible to do this with Windows Server 2016 Essentials? Again this is a File Server I want to use to hold projects and footage for my small company. Thanks for everyone's help.

Both can be done with roles in windows server. If you have a computer with enough power run a virtual machine, I honestly recommend experimenting with Windows server evaluation copies. They run for 180 days without a license, so you can use this to try adding features and getting used to the UI. 

You can access the evaluation center here. Download the ISO if you want to try it as a VM. 

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/how-to-install-vpn-access-on-windows-server-2016

Creating the File server is pretty easy if you've used windows server before:

Open server manager,

Hit add roles and features  (or hit Manage in the top right if it's the same as 2012r2)

Installation Type: Role-Based or Feature-based

Server selection: select your server

Server roles: File and storage services arrow, then File Server. It will probably ask you to add features that it requires to run that service, let it add them. 

Features: It should add these automatically from the last page. Hit next. 

Confirmation: Click install.

It should run itself from there. It may ask to restart. 

Adding a VPN is a little more complex, the simplest way is through the RAS role in the same installer. 

Here are some step by step instructions with pictures to help: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/how-to-install-vpn-access-on-windows-server-2016

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

9 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Both can be done with roles in windows server. If you have a computer with enough power run a virtual machine, I honestly recommend experimenting with Windows server evaluation copies. They run for 180 days without a license, so you can use this to try adding features and getting used to the UI. 

You can access the evaluation center here. Download the ISO if you want to try it as a VM. 

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/how-to-install-vpn-access-on-windows-server-2016

Creating the File server is pretty easy if you've used windows server before:

Open server manager,

Hit add roles and features  (or hit Manage in the top right if it's the same as 2012r2)

Installation Type: Role-Based or Feature-based

Server selection: select your server

Server roles: File and storage services arrow, then File Server. It will probably ask you to add features that it requires to run that service, let it add them. 

Features: It should add these automatically from the last page. Hit next. 

Confirmation: Click install.

It should run itself from there. It may ask to restart. 

Adding a VPN is a little more complex, the simplest way is through the RAS role in the same installer. 

Here are some step by step instructions with pictures to help: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/how-to-install-vpn-access-on-windows-server-2016

Thank you so much for the info, I'll experiment with this in a VM before my units arrive.