Paperclip made my PC shut off [LOL]

Zikama

So I was bored and I found a paperclip which I started to bend and play with, then I inserted the paperclip into my USB on my laptop, and instantly my PC Shut off instantly. I tried it a couple of times and also on my Desktop and it worked all the times. Not sure why, but I think it was due to a short circuit, still pretty impressive you can make your PC shut down due to the USB.

*Try it at your own risk*

Yes, shorting out your PC is a great idea. Everyone should try it!

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Yes, shorting out your PC is a great idea. Everyone should try it!

It doesnt break anything, don't worry lol

A lot of laptops have failsaves for this, though. Where they refuse to boot after being short-circuited.

Pull out the battery of the laptop and re-insert it, that will enable it to boot again.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Please don't short your pc.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Maybe, but I still think it's pretty stupid to insert a metal object into your PC port in the first place :D (especially when you didn't know what it would do)

I either need glasses, or something is wrong.

Well If you have trouble reading, you should or zoom up xD

That is the worst advice you could possibly give in this situation. Shutting your PC off abruptly can corrupt files on your OS not to even mention the possible hardware damage.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Maybe, but I still think it's pretty stupid to insert a metal object into your PC port in the first place :D (especially when you didn't know what it would do)

I know lol, and of cause you shouldn't keep doing it for many times, it just find it wierd, cause the USB interface only featured around 6 Volt of power.

That is the worst advice you could possibly give in this situation. Shutting your PC off abruptly can corrupt files on your OS not to even mention the possible hardware damage.

Well you shouldn't try it while flashing you BIOS, einstain.

wow.......

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Gonna try it in my school library xD

Save your homework first please :)

I like how you're trying to reason with someone trying to get people to short out their USB sockets. I sense an optimist in you :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Well you shouldn't try it while flashing you BIOS, einstain.

I am talking in windows but oh well...

Its spelled Einstein by the way also, that was bothering my OCD :P

I like how you're trying to reason with someone trying to get people to short out their USB sockets. I sense an optimist in you :P

It was obvious a troll. But it did work

I am talking in windows but oh well...

Its spelled Einstein by the way also, that was bothering my OCD :P

3254982-4173396489-50550.jpg

I really am. Whoever said virtue is it's own reward was either a liar, horrible person, or both.

I did that at school once :P It somehow gave me access to hidden network drives

I did that at school once :P It somehow gave me access to hidden network drives

lol wat

lol wat

Yeah i dunno how it happened. The computer shut down so I turned it back on and logged back in. Went to "Computer" and all of a sudden I could get into a whole bunch of drives that weren't there before.

So I was bored and I found a paperclip which I started to bend and play with, then I inserted the paperclip into my USB on my laptop, and instantly my PC Shut off instantly. I tried it a couple of times and also on my Desktop and it worked all the times. Not sure why, but I think it was due to a short circuit, still pretty impressive you can make your PC shut down due to the USB.

*Try it at your own risk*

I already posted this half a year ago, but when I inserted my thumbdrive into a USB thingy of one of the uni's PCs it shorted and shutdown.

Zikama is my new hero.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)