Run Programs from a home server

Hello all!
I'm a little new to the server scene and I have a question.  I work for a small family owned company that designs, sells, and fabricates kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and anything interior home improvement related.  

Me and a few others share one desktop computer where we have a design software where we make the renders for the clients.  We want to implement the ability of modifying the renders on two laptops we recently purchased so that we can modify it at the client's home.  

My question is, will purchasing a small 2TB 'server' like the WD My Cloud, installing the design software, and saving all the main computer files on there be a solution to this?

My objective is to be able to access, modify, and create the render files using said program on all the desktop/laptops.  What I had in mind was installing the program on the server and running it like if it were an external storage device that way everyone can access the newest files without having to sync.  

Thanks for reading!  If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

You want to put the software on the server as well as the project files?

What are these for?

Just now, epikgamerwmp said:

You want to put the software on the server as well as the project files?

Yes.  Also client files, if possible.

The client files, you can defiantly put them on the server. Why not just install the software on the machines themself?

What are these for?

1 minute ago, epikgamerwmp said:

The client files, you can defiantly put them on the server. Why not just install the software on the machines themself?

Couple different reasons.  
1.  The program doesn't allow reading external files.  I can't import files.  Only export.

2.  The company owners don't want to spend more on the program.  It would cost them around  $3,000 per year for adding two devices.  They feel the company is not big enough to justify spending that much.

no it will not be suffice. Those so called 'NAS' is pure doo doo.

Also like you said, what software you are running really limits what OS you can use for your NAS.

The better question would be asking what kind of solution we should go for. Don't limit ur question to what kind of NAS i should get. And there are some really smart people here that can help with ur set up without costing you a dime

2 minutes ago, TensorVortex said:

no it will not be suffice. Those so called 'NAS' is pure doo doo.

Also like you said, what software you are running really limits what OS you can use for your NAS.

I'd like to ask if you could please explain what you're trying to say. It's kind of difficult to understand

4 minutes ago, TensorVortex said:

The better question would be asking what kind of solution we should go for. Don't limit ur question to what kind of NAS i should get. And there are some really smart people here that can help with ur set up without costing you a dime

I purposely put my objective on a separate line to see if there are other solutions and not just what I'm thinking.  I was suggesting the only thing I know.  I'm not limiting my question

So basically what you're asking is if the software license can be worked around to work on other machines... that's a big no-no. If the company doesn't want to spend out for more licenses then that's that. Also IIRC you can't "install" software on a wdmycloud NAS, it's basically just a storage device on the network, and files can be shared outside the home/business using their apps.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

So basically what you're asking is if the software license can be worked around to work on other machines... that's a big no-no. If the company doesn't want to spend out for more licenses then that's that. Also IIRC you can't "install" software on a wdmycloud NAS, it's basically just a storage device on the network, and files can be shared outside the home/business using their apps.

I'll bring it up to the owners and see what they decide.  Thanks for the input!