Speccing thinkpad t495

smig

Hi,

I'm running a t430 and I'm feeling like I should upgrade my perfectly fine machine just because I don't feel like reflashing the embedded controller to get my modded oldschool keyboard to work perfectly. Plus I mean... a modern quad core would be nice too even if I could mod this easily ;)

I've been looking at a custom sku of the t495 but I can't really decide if the ryzen 7 3700u is worth the 160€(more than I paid for my t430...) over the ryzen 5 3500u. I'm not looking to do too much gaming on the thing so realistically the extra power on the gpu side might not make any difference, even tho it'd be nice to have it just in case. Plus I have heard that the 3700u does perform worse in some laptops than the 3500u thanks to thermals. Can anyone confirm if thinkpads are one of those laptops? It's not really fair to compare 3700u on a badly cooled laptop to a 3500u on a well cooled one.

Also I've been missing the touch screen I had on my xps13 but I don't know if it'd be worth the extra money either. I'd probably install linux on the thing after I've passed all the courses that need windows software in uni. Does anyone have experience with getting the thinkpad touchscreens to work on linux? I remember having some issues with the xps on everything but ubuntu, but it was years ago.