Asus TUF VG27AQ vs. Asus ROG Swift PG278QR

Hip

Hey guys,

can anyone tell me - maybe even from personal experience - which of these two monitors is the better one?

I can't really see a difference in their specifications.

But can you tell me if there is any difference between G-Sync and G-Sync compatible?

Thank you in advance!

Nvidia announced that it would finally stop preventing its video cards from using capabilities already built into FreeSync monitors. Nvidia GPUs will now support FreeSync displays, with some displays enabled by default and universal support available via a manual setting change. On January 15, Nvidia will release an updated driver with support for G-Sync on FreeSync displays for Pascal and Turing-class GPUs.

spacer.png

If you own one of the monitors listed above, Adaptive Sync support should kick in automatically when the panel is connected. But even owners of FreeSync panels without automatic support will have the option to enable these capabilities. Nvidia will now have three different program levels for G-Sync. G-Sync-compatible means that Nvidia will automatically enable these features despite the display being a FreeSync panel, G-Sync means the panel has gone through Nvidia’s own certification process, and G-Sync Ultimate is presumably an even higher-tier and more-expensive option for fans that want to stay with formally branded solutions.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Aristotle2019 said:

Nvidia announced that it would finally stop preventing its video cards from using capabilities already built into FreeSync monitors. Nvidia GPUs will now support FreeSync displays, with some displays enabled by default and universal support available via a manual setting change. On January 15, Nvidia will release an updated driver with support for G-Sync on FreeSync displays for Pascal and Turing-class GPUs.

If you own one of the monitors listed above, Adaptive Sync support should kick in automatically when the panel is connected. But even owners of FreeSync panels without automatic support will have the option to enable these capabilities. Nvidia will now have three different program levels for G-Sync. G-Sync-compatible means that Nvidia will automatically enable these features despite the display being a FreeSync panel, G-Sync means the panel has gone through Nvidia’s own certification process, and G-Sync Ultimate is presumably an even higher-tier and more-expensive option for fans that want to stay with formally branded solutions.

Does this still mean that the TUF monitor has the same G-Sync just not tested for every game or so?

I have a 2080 and want to use G-Sync of course ?

11 hours ago, Hip said:

Does this still mean that the TUF monitor has the same G-Sync just not tested for every game or so?

I have a 2080 and want to use G-Sync of course ?

Means, u will have no screen tearing. Basically what it does. Minor differences, G-Sync compatible Is what u call freesync when used with an Nvidia GPU. So yeah, saves money. 

15 hours ago, Aristotle2019 said:

Means, u will have no screen tearing. Basically what it does. Minor differences, G-Sync compatible Is what u call freesync when used with an Nvidia GPU. So yeah, saves money. 

So I basically save 200 € and get also G-Sync? ^^

9 hours ago, Hip said:

So I basically save 200 € and get also G-Sync? ^^

Hmm kinda. Hehe. 

So, G-Sync uses a proprietary module from Nvidia, so you pay a premium. 

Freesync and consequently G-Sync Compatible doesn't. 

I checked your monitors. I'd say go with the TUF, It's IPS so you know you get better viewing angles and a wider colour range . On top of that, you save 200 euros, now I'm not familiar with the cost of these things in Euros, but I know it's quite a lot for possibly a CPU, GPU or big time storage/memory upgrade. Possibly even a better motherboard. 

So yea, TUF VG27AQ over Swift PG278QR because, IPS>TN, and refresh rates and other things are the same, the G-Sync and G-Sync Compatible difference is almost negligible, You are free of screen tearing which is more or less the basic function of this feature. 

Other things are the same : 1ms response, great looks, Asus branding :D, pretty much nothings different to me other than the IPS Vs TN! Haha, IPS anyday, good IPS for gaming comes with high refresh and low response, so why not? 

Answer: TUF VG27AQ 

:).

11 hours ago, Aristotle2019 said:

Hmm kinda. Hehe. 

So, G-Sync uses a proprietary module from Nvidia, so you pay a premium. 

Freesync and consequently G-Sync Compatible doesn't. 

I checked your monitors. I'd say go with the TUF, It's IPS so you know you get better viewing angles and a wider colour range . On top of that, you save 200 euros, now I'm not familiar with the cost of these things in Euros, but I know it's quite a lot for possibly a CPU, GPU or big time storage/memory upgrade. Possibly even a better motherboard. 

So yea, TUF VG27AQ over Swift PG278QR because, IPS>TN, and refresh rates and other things are the same, the G-Sync and G-Sync Compatible difference is almost negligible, You are free of screen tearing which is more or less the basic function of this feature. 

Other things are the same : 1ms response, great looks, Asus branding :D, pretty much nothings different to me other than the IPS Vs TN! Haha, IPS anyday, good IPS for gaming comes with high refresh and low response, so why not? 

Answer: TUF VG27AQ 

:).

Thank you for your detailed reply.

What do you think about the ASUS PG279Q? It is basically similar to the TUF, but it has NO HDR, but a G-Sync module and VRR. Which the TUF does not.

I actually get the PG279Q for almost 100 Euro less in a sale now.

11 hours ago, Hip said:

Thank you for your detailed reply.

What do you think about the ASUS PG279Q? It is basically similar to the TUF, but it has NO HDR, but a G-Sync module and VRR. Which the TUF does not.

I actually get the PG279Q for almost 100 Euro less in a sale now.

So if the PG279Q costs X euros, the PG278QR is (X+100) and TUF VG27AQ is (X-100)? Nonetheless, u can still save 100 euros on the TUF. The TUF VG27AQ is the only one with HDR10 (which, trust me, is a gimmick on cheap monitors like the TUF here since HDR can be felt truly on like a 100nit brightness display, and that is too expensive for cheaper midrange monitors) , rest everything is same between the three except the G-Sync factor and panel. 

The PG279Q is a great monitor, but if VRR means Variable Refresh Rate, all these monitors are 144Hz overclockable to 165Hz. 

PG279Q and VG27AQ over PG278QR (coz price and IPS!)

The PG279Q has a G-SYNC module, which is kinda better than G-Sync Compatible - since hardware control seems better than software control. I had seen a spec/feature sheet between Freesync (called G-Sync compatible with Nvidia GPU) and G-Sync, but I couldn't find it whenever I was replying to you. 

If it's not a huge difference, a G-Sync module gets u the premium feel and somewhat better optimization - so if it falls withing Ur monitor budget, go for it. It's an actually great monitor, no doubt. U also get ROG branding, and I think it has customizable RGB too. 

Have you considered ultrawides? 

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC89G-B-ultrawide-monitor

The LG34UC89G, it's 2560×1080, so slightly lesser pixels, but same benefits of G-SYNC, 166Hz, IPS but it's 21:9 aspect ratio compared to the standard 16:9, I would suggest an ultrawide over others anyday. 

My preference would be 

LG 34UC89G > ASUS ROG PG279Q > ASUS TUF VG27AQ (but never the ROG PG278QR because, TN! Seriously??!) 

If ultrawides isn't your thing (but it should be :P), then PG279Q, it's got better promises in G-Sync over G-Sync Compatible. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 7:39 AM, Aristotle2019 said:

So if the PG279Q costs X euros, the PG278QR is (X+100) and TUF VG27AQ is (X-100)? Nonetheless, u can still save 100 euros on the TUF. The TUF VG27AQ is the only one with HDR10 (which, trust me, is a gimmick on cheap monitors like the TUF here since HDR can be felt truly on like a 100nit brightness display, and that is too expensive for cheaper midrange monitors) , rest everything is same between the three except the G-Sync factor and panel. 

The PG279Q is a great monitor, but if VRR means Variable Refresh Rate, all these monitors are 144Hz overclockable to 165Hz. 

PG279Q and VG27AQ over PG278QR (coz price and IPS!)

The PG279Q has a G-SYNC module, which is kinda better than G-Sync Compatible - since hardware control seems better than software control. I had seen a spec/feature sheet between Freesync (called G-Sync compatible with Nvidia GPU) and G-Sync, but I couldn't find it whenever I was replying to you. 

If it's not a huge difference, a G-Sync module gets u the premium feel and somewhat better optimization - so if it falls withing Ur monitor budget, go for it. It's an actually great monitor, no doubt. U also get ROG branding, and I think it has customizable RGB too. 

Have you considered ultrawides? 

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC89G-B-ultrawide-monitor

The LG34UC89G, it's 2560×1080, so slightly lesser pixels, but same benefits of G-SYNC, 166Hz, IPS but it's 21:9 aspect ratio compared to the standard 16:9, I would suggest an ultrawide over others anyday. 

My preference would be 

LG 34UC89G > ASUS ROG PG279Q > ASUS TUF VG27AQ (but never the ROG PG278QR because, TN! Seriously??!) 

If ultrawides isn't your thing (but it should be :P), then PG279Q, it's got better promises in G-Sync over G-Sync Compatible. 

the PG279Q is like really old is on 2015 releast and the TUF Models are really new. and ofcourse you have the final choose. but that the PG279Q G-sync has doesnt meant its better. You can also take a 1080P monitor and have better specs 2K isnt a need there are newer monitors for 1080 that are really good. but if you want really a 2K monitor take the VG27AQ because its newer and I believe that because of the new function that the monitor has better colour and or because of the LED function that the screen goes on and off really fast that the colour are more correct 

my answe: VG27AQ

the PG279Q is like really old is on 2015 releast and the TUF Models are really new. and ofcourse you have the final choose. but that the PG279Q G-sync has doesnt meant its better. You can also take a 1080P monitor and have better specs 2K isnt a need there are newer monitors for 1080 that are really good. but if you want really a 2K monitor take the VG27AQ because its newer and I believe that because of the new function that the monitor has better colour and or because of the LED function that the screen goes on and off really fast that the colour are more correct 

my answe: VG27AQ

higher then 27inch for gaming is not fine because you need to look everywhere but it also can be opinion