Can i mix and match drive sizes.

I have a bunch of extra drives from salvaging old computers. I would like to use them in a low power non critical server. I have 6 500GB WD Blue drives and 2 1TB dell branded enterprise drives. I was thinking have two raid 5 of 3 500GB drives then having those in raid 5 with the 1TB in raid 1. I know i it is very complicated but i would like for the drives not to fail in the first 6 months of deployment. I would like to do this with freenas but i don't know if thats possible.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

17 minutes ago, Necrovarius said:

With Raid, you want to have all drive withing the array the same size.

And same RPM speed.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

You should consider using unRaid and configure it so that everything you store gets distributed across multiple drives - if one or two fail, data can be rebuilt from the other drives.

However, I wouldn't use anything less than 1 TB...

You can start with the $59 basic version that limits you to 6 drives and then upgrade as needed to 12 devices or unlimited devices if you think you'll need it.

You can get 2 TB drives for 30-38$ ...as cheap as those 500 GB drives are (free), it's better to use higher capacity, you're saving money in electricity costs and hassles in the long term.

37$ 5y warranty  2TB (new old stock, made around 5-8 years ago, never used, company honors warranty if they fail)

WD RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

52$ 5y warranty 3 TB

Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST33000651NS 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

50$ 1y warranty 3 TB

Seagate 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA III (6.0Gbps) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Heavy Duty)-NAS, RAID, CCTV DVR, PC/Mac - Newegg.com

WL 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (Enterprise Grade) 3.5" Hard Drive (For Server, RAID, NAS, DVR, Desktop PC) w/1 Year Warranty - Newegg.com