Adding 2nd cpu to server causes it not to post

I've recently inherited a boatload of servers from my employer when we replaced a bunch of individual servers in favor of blades in a couple of our offices.

I am trying to use one of these as my unraid server and wanted to beef it up a bit. I took out 2 pair'd x5650's from a 1u dell and threw them into this 3u HP P4500 G2 server.

Populating the 2nd CPU slot causes the thing not to post anymore. It will power on, the fans ramp up to the full jet fan screaming speed and then it shuts off.

I can see online on ebay etc plenty of other examples of this server having dual cpu's but it just isn't working for me in this one.

I've disconnected/reseated everything I can think of at this point and looked around in the ILO Management for clues and nothing really stands out to me. I tried running a known good CPU in socket 2 while socket 1 was empty and the same behavior occurs.

At this point i've come to the conclusion that either the socket is disabled via software/bios/jumper or that the socket is just bad somehow/somewhere and I am SOL.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!!!

some servers need a new fan to be plugged in to service the new CPU, or that specific pairing of CPUs is not validated to work. My own dual 1366 server does not technically work with any X series xeons but I lucked out and it accepted my dual 5560 setup

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So that's a good point but I did try paired x5560's as well and i've seen ebay posts of this mb rev running x5650's as well. I also made sure I was flashed to the latest bios and that a single 5650 worked in socket 1 (it's actually running in that config right now with 96 GB's of ram).

As for the point about the fan's that's a really good point I will need to look again for a fan header but these are server chassis usually they don't have cpu fan's and the one cpu hat does work doesn't have a cpu fan on it either. Just super powerful 80 MM fans in pairs (4 Wide x 2 deep) to pull air in from the front and force it over the cpu heatsink and out the back for cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you install ram in the slots for the 2nd cpu? Both cpus must have the same number of ram sticks of the same size in the correct slots