Lost storage on HDD - cannot download GPU Driver either

Crimma

Hi guys,

i recently replaced my 1TB Barracuda HDD with an identical but 2TB version of the same thing.

Firstly, once i rebooted my pc with the 2TB HDD installed, my PC then came up with a "boot device not found" or something along those lines.

I thought this was extremely weird as windows is installed on my SSD which was not touched in this process.

After this i simply just inserted my windows boot USB and did the usual windows setup and this seemed to work..... for now.

Once i finally got into my pc, my second monitor wasnt being displayed. I then tried to install the driver manually for my GTX 1660ti but Gefore experience couldnt download the driver as "my windows is not compatiable".

At this time i was sick of it all so i just turned my pc off again and reinstalled my old HDD. I came back to find that nothing has been transferred back and i am still having the same issue.

Please help!!! 

When you originally installed Windows on the computer, did you have both the 1TB HDD and the SSD installed? 

That is weird.

What comes to mind...

Boot order. When you added another hard drive, it's possible your BIOS re-scanned for available hard drives and maybe it tried to boot from your newly installed hard drive (change boot order)

On some motherboards, some SATA connectors are disabled when you install a SATA SSD in a M.2 connector.

However, it may be that by installing the hard drive in one of those SATA connectors that get disabled may have worked the other way for some weird reason (random fluke or some BIOS bug)

Look into your manual and check the "fineprint" about how your M.2 and SATA connectors behave with various combinations of storage devices installed in them. You may have to plug the hard drive in another SATA connector - it really makes no difference in which SATA connector you plug something, it doesn't have to be plugged in SATA0 (the first connector)

Some motherboard even disable one of the x16 slots (electrically x4) if you insert a m.2 SSD in the second m.2 connector.

Where was your video card inserted? What motherboard? What SSD do you have?

Could be you just bumped your video card a bit and didn't sit right in the slot

9 minutes ago, DyachVt said:

What is your motherboard and GPU?

ASRock AB350 and a Gibabyte GTX 1660ti OC

6 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

When you originally installed Windows on the computer, did you have both the 1TB HDD and the SSD installed? 

Yes both we originally installed

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That is weird.

What comes to mind...

Boot order. When you added another hard drive, it's possible your BIOS re-scanned for available hard drives and maybe it tried to boot from your newly installed hard drive (change boot order)

On some motherboards, some SATA connectors are disabled when you install a SATA SSD in a M.2 connector.

However, it may be that by installing the hard drive in one of those SATA connectors that get disabled may have worked the other way for some weird reason (random fluke or some BIOS bug)

Look into your manual and check the "fineprint" about how your M.2 and SATA connectors behave with various combinations of storage devices installed in them. You may have to plug the hard drive in another SATA connector - it really makes no difference in which SATA connector you plug something, it doesn't have to be plugged in SATA0 (the first connector)

Some motherboard even disable one of the x16 slots (electrically x4) if you insert a m.2 SSD in the second m.2 connector.

Where was your video card inserted? What motherboard? What SSD do you have?

Could be you just bumped your video card a bit and didn't sit right in the slot

Haven't touch the GPU at all and it hasnt been bumped. Dont really understand why a simple thing like changing my HDD would have so much effect. My SSD is a simple Western Digital Green 256GB SSD, only got it to be used for windows 10

I'm sorry, maybe I don’t understand anything alone. Have you reinstalled Windows or not?
Because if you reinstalled, then you need to turn on the Internet and wait for the automatic update of the drivers.

11 hours ago, Crimma said:

Yes both we originally installed

Sounds as though your boot manager could have been put on the HDD.