Thermal Paste

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Please read the installation manual. The insulation pad is for separating the backplate and motherboard to prevent shorting. 

It's not the same as a thermal pad and insulation is the opposite of what thermal pads / paste do. 

You might be able to run the system with no thermal paste and just dry mount the cooler onto the cpu for a windows installation but the pump and fans might  have to run at pretty high rpm to keep temps in check. Make sure there isn't any auto-oc'ing or enhanced turbo from the motherboard settings if you decide to do this.

Currently building a new PC and my TD-02 RGB AIO Cooler from Silverstone has this insulation pad, as I dont have thermal paste, is it okay to use it as a temporary thing to install windows and things?

15701680355238414485680629321458.jpg

1570168096007406814594085531718.jpg

No

But is the cooler new? It says in the manual it comes with paste.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

No

But is the cooler new? It says in the manual it comes with paste.

Its a hand down from my friend so no, it didn't come with any thermal paste, think he used to aio for about a month, took the rest of the thermal paste so eh. Im going to go buy some thermal paste but I don't have much time at the moment, was seeing if it was an okay option for a temporary hour or so. 

Please read the installation manual. The insulation pad is for separating the backplate and motherboard to prevent shorting. 

It's not the same as a thermal pad and insulation is the opposite of what thermal pads / paste do. 

You might be able to run the system with no thermal paste and just dry mount the cooler onto the cpu for a windows installation but the pump and fans might  have to run at pretty high rpm to keep temps in check. Make sure there isn't any auto-oc'ing or enhanced turbo from the motherboard settings if you decide to do this.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.