90% Ram usage, nothing open, fresh install, plz halp

having some trouble on my girlfriend's computer, she's experiencing hiccups that didn't happen before (I installed an SSD recently), especially when opening games and programs, which is typical of ram limited systems, so i checked it out and sure enough, 90% of her 8 gigs are being used on a blank desktop, and when I open task manager, the processes open don't add up, chrome was hogging like 100 megs from a couple googles I ran while I took the screenshot, and I'm aware windows will eat up a ton for caching, but most i've seen on my own PC is 50%... Any thoughts what this could be? Pretty sure this wasn't happening when windows was booting from her HDD

ramusage.png

check the memory installation, if its dual slot, then maybe 1 slot is not properly installed.

maybe windows is still finalizing the installation or doing update in the background.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

check the memory installation, if its dual slot, then maybe 1 slot is not properly installed.

maybe windows is still finalizing the installation or doing update in the background.

Would windows still detect both sticks if one wasn't properly installed?

I checked for updates, and it "wasn't" doing anything untill i clicked check for update and it suspiciously found something that was 67% installed, i'll see if this was it

Yes, i have experienced that before. Unplug problematic module, give it a clean wipe reinstall, and it would run normally.

In my case windows detect 8gb but only 4gb usable.

Also worth checking how many pagefile allocated for virtual memory.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, i have experienced that before. Unplug problematic module, give it a clean wipe reinstall, and it would run normally.

In my case windows detect 8gb but only 4gb usable.

Also worth checking how many pagefile allocated for virtual memory.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

i'll do a reinstall of both once the update is finished, thanks.
pagefile is fine too

• 2 months later...

Though it is an old thread but I want to add my reply that others can get an idea about it. Actually after a fresh install Windows 10 get busy in downloading latest updates and it takes up the memory. The issue may resolve automatically after completion of the update process.