Samsung TV Global Dimming

Go to solution Solved by ToTouchAnEmu,

I purchased the repair manual for this TV which includes all of the submenu options and navigation, in hopes I'd find a solution to disabling global dimming.

Turns out, it's not possible to disable the feature. So you have to set the input to PC for all of your devices if you want to disable the feature, and the TV will periodically attempt to autodetect the device you have plugged into and swap it away from PC, overwriting all of your settings because they know better than you apparently.

Samsung has idiot proofed their TVs to a point where I will never purchase one again.

I have a Samsung UN55RU8000FXZA TV I bought for my office. My primary concern was a panel that had good input latency and supported 120Hz input.

This TV does those things, but I have some super large problems with the TV. The software is GARBAGE. I use an HDMI switch to connect my various consoles to the TV, and every time I switch it to a new device, the TV "detects" the device and changes all of the picture settings I had set to what they think is best for that device. The only way I have found to stop this is to press exit on the remote as fast as I can before it can finish detecting, but it's really fast.

But even more egregious than that is the global backlight dimming. Any time there is a dark scene in a game or movie the TV just goes so dark I can barely see anything. I have heard you can set the input to PC mode, but again, it always changes it every time I use a new device. Also that doesn't work when I'm using one of the built in apps, like netflix or youtube. Also the global dimming will automatically come back if the input is less than 720p, even in PC mode (that one is a mystery to me... but it makes playing my old wii/gc games impossible).

Is there a way to change this software to something else? I wasn't sure if someone out there has custom firmware that works on all samsung TVs.

Also why has Samsung idiot-proofed this TV to the point where it's basically unusable for someone who wants to set it up their way?

hmmmm....i have the 7000 series which is basically the same settings wise and such. and i dont see any of that....are you sure youve looked at all settings? theres a bunch under general (external device manager and eco solution) that have to do with picture also...your missing something in the settings

• 1 year later...

I purchased the repair manual for this TV which includes all of the submenu options and navigation, in hopes I'd find a solution to disabling global dimming.

Turns out, it's not possible to disable the feature. So you have to set the input to PC for all of your devices if you want to disable the feature, and the TV will periodically attempt to autodetect the device you have plugged into and swap it away from PC, overwriting all of your settings because they know better than you apparently.

Samsung has idiot proofed their TVs to a point where I will never purchase one again.