Problem with linking to sysfs path for 1 of 4 gpu, ubuntu 19.04

I'm running Linux 19.04, ASUS mining expert motherboard, Celeron 3900, 8 gigs, 500 GB HD.   I have 4 Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580s.  All of them work.  No power supply issues.  The BIOS shows no problems accessing all 4 cards.

lspci shows all 4 cards.  I'm on a different computer right now.  I can't give the output.  Anyway, the problem comes up when a program tries to load all 4 gpus.   It raises an error saying that the sysfs path can't link to...whatever directory.  What's going on?  Is it a kernel issue?  Does it have something to do with the AMD driver (I'm using the proprietary amdgpu)?

WattmanGTK's source code shows the error probably have something to do with getting the sysfs path. (lines 122 - 132 in (https://github.com/BoukeHaarsma23/WattmanGTK/blob/master/WattmanGTK/wattman.py). This is weird given there's no problem getting the path through lspci.

Another gpu monitoring program only showed 2 gpus.  No program accesses all 4 at one time.

May i ask why you're using the proprietary AMD GPU driver? The open source one is excellent, you only want the proprietary version when using any "Pro" cards. But in order to help you I really need some more information being most important the full error message you are getting with included directory path. As well the output of the following commands short after fresh boot.

(You may do this later when your at this computer again)

dmesg
uname -a
lspci -v

18 hours ago, Jarno. said:

May i ask why you're using the proprietary AMD GPU driver? The open source one is excellent, you only want the proprietary version when using any "Pro" cards. But in order to help you I really need some more information being most important the full error message you are getting with included directory path. As well the output of the following commands short after fresh boot.

(You may do this later when your at this computer again)

dmesg

uname -a

lspci -v

I'll try the open source.  If it works well, I might switch to Archlinux (or Manjaro).  Much better dev platforms.