KMS Resetting

C3nturi_

So my brother attempted to use a few hacky things to obtain Windows 10 Pro without paying (We have multiple legit keys though, unbeknownst to him). Anyways he modified the KMS settings so now we can't use our legitimate keys to upgrade his system. Any idea how I would get it back to the default windows KMS settings?

50 minutes ago, C3nturi_ said:

So my brother attempted to use a few hacky things to obtain Windows 10 Pro without paying (We have multiple legit keys though, unbeknownst to him). Anyways he modified the KMS settings so now we can't use our legitimate keys to upgrade his system. Any idea how I would get it back to the default windows KMS settings?

As Andrew Says, fresh install is the easiest way. You could also use slmgr.vbs to enter the new key through command prompt. See guide here: https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

1 minute ago, Spontaneocus said:

As Andrew Says, fresh install is the easiest way. You could also use slmgr.vbs to enter the new key through command prompt. See guide here: https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

I have attempted using slmgr, but it's not accepting the key as it cannot verify it.

Just now, C3nturi_ said:

I have attempted using slmgr, but it's not accepting the key as it cannot verify it.

That sounds like he's changed the hosts file to block online verification.

Try navigating to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and replace the hosts file with the original windows one I have attached below. Then try changing the windows key again.

hosts

8 minutes ago, Spontaneocus said:

That sounds like he's changed the hosts file to block online verification.

Try navigating to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and replace the hosts file with the original windows one I have attached below. Then try changing the windows key again.

hosts 824 B · 1 download

Alrighty I did that, and same result. A 0x800f0805. However I bought this key directly from Dell, and I haven't used it yet (I've used it on another PC, but that Desktop has been unregistered so there are technically no uses on it.). So if the key is verified as working, what the hell am I doing wrong here. I just need to upgrade his old system as Windows 10 Home doesn't support multi cpu setups (Old Precision 490 with Dual Xeon 5160s).

1 minute ago, C3nturi_ said:

Alrighty I did that, and same result. A 0x800f0805. However I bought this key directly from Dell, and I haven't used it yet (I've used it on another PC, but that Desktop has been unregistered so there are technically no uses on it.). So if the key is verified as working, what the hell am I doing wrong here. I just need to upgrade his old system as Windows 10 Home doesn't support multi cpu setups (Old Precision 490 with Dual Xeon 5160s).

Stupid question but did you install the OS or did he? Are we sure that it is the right version of Win 10 for the key?

Just now, Spontaneocus said:

Stupid question but did you install the OS or did he? Are we sure that it is the right version of Win 10 for the key?

I installed it, back when he was using a singular Xeon. Windows 10 Home Version 1903 OS build 18362.329. Considering backing up his files (Granted there are a ton, 300GB worth) and just resetting.

2 minutes ago, C3nturi_ said:

I installed it, back when he was using a singular Xeon. Windows 10 Home Version 1903 OS build 18362.329. Considering backing up his files (Granted there are a ton, 300GB worth) and just resetting.

Gotcha. Well to be totally honest with you here if you are getting error 0x800f0805 then that's going to pose issues for windows updates in the future. I remember that evil code from a corruption my wives PC suffered as a result of a hinky windows update circa Jan 2018. 7 days later, still no solution. My honest advice is backup files and wipe and re-install particularly if you're doing hardware changes. 

2 minutes ago, Spontaneocus said:

Gotcha. Well to be totally honest with you here if you are getting error 0x800f0805 then that's going to pose issues for windows updates in the future. I remember that evil code from a corruption my wives PC suffered as a result of a hinky windows update circa Jan 2018. 7 days later, still no solution. My honest advice is backup files and wipe and re-install particularly if you're doing hardware changes. 

Yeah man, thanks for all your help thus far. Really appreciate it. Now to find a spare drive to back up 200GB worth of files lol. Hope to have interactions with you in the future, hopefully more positive instead of a dead OS situation.

Just now, C3nturi_ said:

Yeah man, thanks for all your help thus far. Really appreciate it. Now to find a spare drive to back up 200GB worth of files lol. Hope to have interactions with you in the future, hopefully more positive instead of a dead OS situation.

Dare I say it..........Onedrive? PMSL

Dare I say it..........Onedrive? PMSL

Oh dear jesus no. I've got a 500GB drive somewhere, granted it's a HDD. LMAO

Orrrrrrrrr, if there is enough space on his harddrive, you could just create a seperate partition and back stuff up to there. Save waiting for the transfer time. 

Orrrrrrrrr, if there is enough space on his harddrive, you could just create a seperate partition and back stuff up to there. Save waiting for the transfer time. 

Yeah true, don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.