Ok so I'm new to the forums (have been watching Linus for a couple years though),

Need a little advice though.

I'll be buying a new AIO liquid cooler soon, and I basically want the best! biggrin.png

So I was thinking the H220 with SP120 QEs on it, but is there something better yet?

Or the H100i or the Seidon 240M?

I know linus re-did his H220 video and it was killer but a certain other  reviewer  (not naming any names) said the H220 is a complete fail.

please note:

atm my 3770k is not OC'ed and is at complete stock. But! I will be overclocking afer i get my AIO

SET UP:

Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7 3770k | STOCK COOLER  :( soon to be replaced with a H220! | EVGA 660ti FTW ed. 2GB | 16gb Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz | Corsair 120GB Neutron GTX SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX860i | Corsair AF120 QE X4

I'd say get a H100i. If you ever want to get custom watercooling sell the H100i and then buy your own components.

H220 is okay but its a failed concept imo.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I'd say based on Linus' retest with a retail sample, it's highly possible that said other reviewer had the same issues that Linus did with his engineering sample.  The problem is the H220's price.  It comes in at a significantly higher price point than the H100i (It's over $25 more than the 100i on Newegg) and while it does give slightly better performance, the results are pretty negligible for an extra $25.  

Get the 100i.  It's the better value.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

+1 ghost.

keep it simple for a first-time experience.. the H100 will get you cooler for overclocking just fine.

then when/if you decide to promote a lil deeper into h2o, then you have a better understanding

of who/what/why..

scenario: own H220, upgrade to include GPU, you'll need more radiator, so you get one, now the

OE radiator is too small, now upgrade to new radiator and reservoir. only original part is the pump

(and maybe fans) you purchased for $140... might find a buyer on the used rad/res combo ($30)

just speculating, but H100/i used still retains a pretty good resale.

airdeano

Oh I wouldn't upgrade the H220 to do GPU as well, I would build custom for that.

But the H220 gets better temps right? BUT then the tubes are too long and I'll have to drain it and cut them 

SET UP:

Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7 3770k | STOCK COOLER  :( soon to be replaced with a H220! | EVGA 660ti FTW ed. 2GB | 16gb Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz | Corsair 120GB Neutron GTX SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX860i | Corsair AF120 QE X4

Oh I wouldn't upgrade the H220 to do GPU as well, I would build custom for that.

But the H220 gets better temps right? BUT then the tubes are too long and I'll have to drain it and cut them 

The H100i is the best solution out there. You pay extra on the H220 to be able to disconnect the tubes.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

H100i and noctua nf-f12's make for the best solution ATM :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Some people dislike the colour of noctua fans. My stanard recommendation for that is to mount to sandwitch the fans between the radiator and the case. Then use black electrical tape to cover the light brown. It will not affect performance at all.

The colour of NF12s REALLY puts me off so I'll probably just go with SP120QE's, I mean its only a few degrees difference right?

SET UP:

The colour of NF12s REALLY puts me off so I'll probably just go with SP120QE's, I mean its only a few degrees difference right?

Do what I told you, you will never have to see them.

No idea of the temp difference it makes, but the noise vs. performance is more of a factor.

Do what I told you, you will never have to see them.

No idea of the temp difference it makes, but the noise vs. performance is more of a factor.

How much louder will the SP120s be over the NF12? noticeable enough to spend twice the amount of a single fan?

SET UP:

How much louder will the SP120s be over the NF12? noticeable enough to spend twice the amount of a single fan?

There is a reason why Noctua known as the best brand of fan and a reason why people love them despite their look and cost.

There is a reason why Noctua known as the best brand of fan and a reason why people love them despite their look and cost.

Would make sense, still a lot for fans.

Will decided after buying my H100i what to go for and what I have money for 

SET UP:

Would make sense, still a lot for fans.

Will decided after buying my H100i what to go for and what I have money for 

Save up. :)

Save up. :)

haha it's not that I would be short of the money, just can I justify spending arounf £30 on two fans!

SET UP:

haha it's not that I would be short of the money, just can I justify spending arounf £30 on two fans!

If you tried to justify the price of watercooling you wouldn't get very far. :S

If you tried to justify the price of watercooling you wouldn't get very far. :S

Oh yeah I'm aware, but thats a project I'mm put off for a while!

SET UP:

This is a super simple decision to make. Check out Linus' benchmarks and the H220 is the clear winner and the best possible choice. The H220 w/ stock fans at 1100RPM runs 8C cooler than an H100i with Noctua fans at 1100RPM. So, $140 for the H220 OR $100 for H100i + $40 for two Noctuas = $140. Two things cost the same price, one runs 8C cooler than the other. Plain and simple.

This is a super simple decision to make. Check out Linus' benchmarks and the H220 is the clear winner and the best possible choice. The H220 w/ stock fans at 1100RPM runs 8C cooler than an H100i with Noctua fans at 1100RPM. So, $140 for the H220 OR $100 for H100i + $40 for two Noctuas = $140. Two things cost the same price, one runs 8C cooler than the other. Plain and simple.

You can keep the fans, after you use it. The H100i has a high re-sale value afaik.

You can keep the fans, after you use it. The H100i has a high re-sale value afaik.

We are definitely looking at this completely differently. I assume you would advocate going with a custom water loop as it would offer the best performance, which is totally understandable. If somebody is looking to get an AIO and has absolutely no plans on adding a GPU to their loop then the absolute only reason not to buy the H220 is budget limitations. In that scenario I would agree that it might make sense to go with an H100i with the stock fans. However, a person is going to spend any extra money replacing the stock fans on the H100i or similar coolers it makes way more sense to put that money into buying an H220 and use the stock fans as it will outperform all of the other coolers according to Linus' benchmarks.

In terms of expanding the H220, I would love to see more benchmarks. A custom loop will almost certainly perform better than an expanded H220, but I wonder by how much. At the very least the $140 for the H220 is a good starting point that somebody could easily add a second radiator, a couple of fans, and a GPU block since you already have a CPU block, pump, and rad with a small reservoir built in to it.

I just don't see any argument for using an H100i over the H220 unless a person has a strict budget and they just can't afford it. Even then, it would probably make more sense to maybe wait and save up for another month or two and get the H220.

If someone has no plans to expand their loop why would they buy a H220 in which you pay extra for the option to expand your loop.

If you want to start watercooling further you could just sell your AIO unit intact and put the money towards your custom loop.

If someone has no plans to expand their loop why would they buy a H220 in which you pay extra for the option to expand your loop.

If you want to start watercooling further you could just sell your AIO unit intact and put the money towards your custom loop.

Because it performs better. That is kind of the point, right? Higher quality radiator, pump, and cpu block. If you check out Linus' retest of the H220

you will see that the H220 with stock fans @1100RPM outperforms every other AIO cooler that they tested.

H220 w/ Noctua @ 1100rpm - 58.5C

H220 w/ stock @ 1100rpm - 62.1C

H100i w Noctua @ 1100rpm - 71C

All these temps are on a 3930k @ 4.0GHz, 1.35V

I double checked prices. In the US right now it would cost $155 to buy an H100i and two Noctua NF-F12 fans. That is $15 more than the H220 at $140. What possible reason could there be to choose the cooler than runs 8C hotter and costs $15 more?

scenario: own H220, upgrade to include GPU, you'll need more radiator, so you get one, now the

OE radiator is too small, now upgrade to new radiator and reservoir. only original part is the pump

(and maybe fans) you purchased for $140... might find a buyer on the used rad/res combo ($30)

just speculating, but H100/i used still retains a pretty good resale.

If you were expanding why would you not continue to use the radiator that comes with the H220? You would just add a second radiator to the loop, not replace it.

Oh I'm not on a budget really, although I don't have enough money spare or time to build a custom loop, I'm going to go with the H220 probably and replace the fans with either noctua or corsair. I'll probably have drain it and cut a bit off the tubes but that's no real problem.

SET UP:

Oh I'm not on a budget really, although I don't have enough money spare or time to build a custom loop, I'm going to go with the H220 probably and replace the fans with either noctua or corsair. I'll probably have drain it and cut a bit off the tubes but that's no real problem.

Watch TTL complain about it.

By the time you have to cut the tubes its as much effort as building your own loop with the exact same risks with the performance of an aio.

The fact everyone hasn't jumped onto the H220 band wagon is an indication of its flaws. Just saying.

TTL was the one who put me off originally, his results were saying the H220 was a complete fail while everyone else said other wise... So I don't know if I trust him that much any more

SET UP: