Potential virus/malware?

spree

Hello there.

I wanted to download a game I used to play when I was a child, and googled around and came across the website "gamefabrique.com" which had a button to download it. The came game out 2003 so I didnt think much of the site that I was on (not like I was trying to get 59.99 game for free, but an old game that was no longer available elsewhere)

Anyway I clicked the download button and the site redirected me to another page (still on the site though) where I was asked to click the "download game" button. Just got a funny feeling and closed down the site. Then searched around a bit and apperently many people have experienced that they have gotten virus/malware from this site. Anyways, to my question:

Do you think I was able to catch something, such as a virus or malware from this site even though I didnt click the "final" download button? 

I'm also thinking there wouldn't be much of an "audience" to target with a virus/malware from a game that came out 2003? Rather that those people that have gotten viruses from this site has tried to download a more "popular" game that costs money?

Ive already ran malwarebytes and it found nothing. Nothing was downloaded when looking at chromes download history. 

If you didn't download anything then you shouldn't be worried about it. I doubt they'd be able to somehow inject a virus in your PC just by looking at the page, internet would be a chaos if that was the case.

Just now, JavierKasunic said:

If you didn't download anything

By "if you didnt download anything" do you mean actually seeing something download? Cause I did click the first download button, not just what I'm assuming the "final" download button. 

But you're probably right. I'm just being paranoid. 

You could always just download Avast and Malwarebytes (Sorry, I missed the last line of your opening post) to check. 

3 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

You could always just download Avast and Malwarebytes (Sorry, I missed the last line of your opening post) to check. 

Avast found nothing. Malwarebytes found nothing.

Yes, and I just went to the site and downloaded a game. It seems to be a rooms site that downloads some emulator and even though it dowloaded Castlevania The New Generation instead of GTA: Liberty City as I first downloaded and it uses one of those sketchy program downloaders, it doesn't seem to have viruses.

1 minute ago, JavierKasunic said:

Yes, and I just went to the site and downloaded a game. It seems to be a rooms site that downloads some emulator and even though it dowloaded Castlevania The New Generation instead of GTA: Liberty City as I first downloaded and it uses one of those sketchy program downloaders, it doesn't seem to have viruses.

Here's the game I was trying to download: https://gamefabrique.com/games/emergency-fire-response/

All the whole site does is install Castlevania - the New Generation, it might be that whoever made it was just trying to get people download what the program downloader tries to make you download, because as far I can see, there's no viruses on the game itself. And even then, you didn't download it so, there's nothing to worry about.

Just now, JavierKasunic said:

All the whole site does is install Castlevania - the New Generation, it might be that whoever made it was just trying to get people download what the program downloader tries to make you download, because as far I can see, there's no viruses on the game itself. And even then, you didn't download it so, there's nothing to worry about.

Alright. Thank you man!

4 minutes ago, JavierKasunic said:

Just cause I'm curious, did you also get 2 download buttons before anything actually downloads? 

3 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

If you are worried about something use Windows sandbox located in windows features.  This sandboxes the virtual space so if it was a virus it wont affect your windows pc.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849

I've never heard of this before. Thank you! I will check it out.