FreeNas sharing problems with Windows

ShadowChaser

I really just need a simplified rundown as I'm really struggling to figure out how to get the windows PCs on my home network to read and write to my home server instead of a network attached disk.
I can read and write from one laptop currently but none of my other laptops and desktops can write for some reason. Guest Access is enabled and so is Guest Access Only. Not sure what I did wrong or if I missed anything as this is the extent the user guide explains setting up unauthorized sharing for samba. So, any help would be appreciated as I have zero clue what I'm doing :P

System is running FreeNas 11.2U5

Hardware is the following

SuperMicro X8DTU-F

Dual X5650

6x8GB ECC RDIMM

2 USB drives as OS drives

4x4TB HGST attached to Dell Perc H310 in IT mode (SAS2008)

The only thing I can tell is my laptop is connected to wifi and everything else is ethernet, but that may just be a coincidence. Someone who actually knows their way around FreeNAS could probably tell me what I'm doing wrong here!

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

When you say it isn't working what error do you get exactly? Is it a write permission problem?

Some rules of thumb:

1. Do not touch the top level dataset.
  2. Only assign ownership to the sub-datasets you intend to share
  3. Set permissions to Windows (restrictive)

With a proper user account setup this will let you login to a share with their password. If you don't want any password you should be able to achieve this by enabling R/W/X permissions for the Other users on the dataset. Note, this is not recommend.

If you need more detail I can provide more tomorrow.

How does your setup in FreeNAS look like? I would just share the home folder of a user and allow guest access on it, is that what you did?

15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

When you say it isn't working what error do you get exactly? Is it a write permission problem?

Some rules of thumb:

1. Do not touch the top level dataset.
  2. Only assign ownership to the sub-datasets you intend to share
  3. Set permissions to Windows (restrictive)

With a proper user account setup this will let you login to a share with their password. If you don't want any password you should be able to achieve this by enabling R/W/X permissions for the Other users on the dataset. Note, this is not recommend.

If you need more detail I can provide more tomorrow.

I setup a dedicated dataset for windows filesharing, with the options of guest access and only allow guest access checked. I also specifically allowed all the IPs of the PCs I intend to use with the system. I wish I could see what I was accessing the server as, then I could assign users to groups. I also don't understand why I can read/write from one of them but not any of the others.

8 hours ago, Olaf6541 said:

How does your setup in FreeNAS look like? I would just share the home folder of a user and allow guest access on it, is that what you did?

I have a dataset that is only for windows, and that is what I'm trying to setup currently

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

2 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I setup a dedicated dataset for windows filesharing, with the options of guest access and only allow guest access checked. I also specifically allowed all the IPs of the PCs I intend to use with the system. I wish I could see what I was accessing the server as, then I could assign users to groups. I also don't understand why I can read/write from one of them but not any of the others.

From the FreeNAS WebUI if you go to Storage -> YourDataset -> Change Permissions you'll see they look like this by default:

Owner Group Other
   Read  X     X     X
  Write  X
Execute  X     X     X
    X Unix
      Max
      Windows

Chances are your other machines are being recognized as Other users and cannot write to the pool. Ideally you would set the Permission Type to Windows but you can use the Unix type to manipulate share permissions. You will need to have your user accounts be in the same group as the Owner/Group of the dataset. Otherwise all users who aren't recognized as the Owner will only be able to Read & Execute.

Most/all of the settings under SMB can be left default besides:

1. Path:
  2. Name:
  3. Apply Default Permissions:
  4. Browsable to Network Clients:

Everything else can be left alone.

Services -> SMB -> Settings:

1. NetBIOS name:
  2. Guest account: nobody
  3. Bind IP Addresses:

Everything else can be left alone.

If you want to use UNIX permissions un-tick Apply Default Permissions under Sharing -> Windows (SMB) -> YourShare then enable UNIX under your Dataset. This will enable you to set Group permissions according to accounts on the server.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you want to use UNIX permissions un-tick Apply Default Permissions under Sharing -> Windows (SMB) -> YourShare then enable UNIX under your Dataset. This will enable you to set Group permissions according to accounts on the server.

UNIX permissions are super easy to use and maybe easier to get everything working.

Create a new user and group in FreeNAS and apply the permissions for the dataset. 

Then in windows when you access the drive, log in with the credentials you just created, that's it. Also works on mac/ linux exactly the same. Try it !