HD migration

devdeep

Building a new PC from scratch - windows 10.

New PC will run fresh copy of windows 10 from a new 1Tb M.2 storage on X570 board. My question is I have 5 normal SATA HDs (5400 / 7200) which I want to transfer to the new PC. I need these for the Data - as I have a fresh copy of windows, I will re-install all the necessary programs from scratch. Will these drives "migrate" - I know I will have to switch the drive letters around. 

When you install Windows on your M.2 drive, you can choose "Custom" or "Advanced" at some point, and instead of letting Windows automatically do everything, choose to create a smaller partition for your Windows installation. For example, you can configure your C : letter as 200 GB or whatever size your comfortable with. You can leave the rest of 7-800 GB unused and install your Windows.

When Windows is completely installed, you can go in Disk Management , select your SSD and right click on an empty area in the bar that shows how your SSD is partitioned  and select to create as many partitions as you wish, and give each partition the letter you want and format it using NTFS (standard file system for Windows 10).

When done, you can simply copy the data from mechanical drives to your SSD.

You may not be able to give the new partitions the exact letters you want because they may be used by your mechanical drives.

In this case you can right click on those partitions on the mechanical drives and select "Change drive letter" and change the letter to something else.

The letter that was previously used by mechanical drive now can be used for your new SSD partition.

(skip the shrink volume stuff at the beginning, go to around 3:15)