Did a USB cardreader just blow up my sound card+onboard sound?

perplex

Speakers - corsair sp2500

Sound Card - Asus Xonar Essence STX

Motherboard - Asus z97 Pro

Had this working for 4 years no issues, today i plugged a USB card reader into the front panel dont remember if it was usb 2 or usb 3 port, when i was trying to put it in, my speakers made a loud crackle noise a couple of time then all sound stopped....

i restarted my computer and for some reason it booted into the BIOS... settings seemed to be normal though

reinstalled Asus STX drivers, no luck, moved PCI slot, no luck (havent tested in another pc yet, i will do when i get time)

decided to take out the sound card and use onboard.

plugged speakers into the green port, set it up via the Asus realtek manager, only 1 speaker works the other one sounds fked

example

plugged in my headphones and i get no sound at all...

i tried my front panel ports my speakers work fine apart from my left and right are the wrong way but when i plug my headphones into it, i test the left headphone, it works fine, when i test the right headphone it comes out the left headphone... wtf....

so i plugged in my in ear headphones in the front port, tested the left one, it came out in both, tested the right one, it came out in both.... wtf

im not experienced with how the sound works, am i fking something up with the onboard sound? why are all 3 speakers acting different in the ports?

but my guess is somehow when i plugged in the usb it fryed my sound card and fked up my onboard sound, i dont understand how

ive reinstalled drivers for onboard and ASUS STX

WTF?

UPDATE

tested the STX on another system, it seem to work fine. so that means my motherboard is fried...???

HOW???

and how come everything works different in the same ports?

3 hours ago, perplex said:

UPDATE

tested the STX on another system, it seem to work fine. so that means my motherboard is fried...???

HOW???

and how come everything works different in the same ports?

Doubt it your usb controller probably fucked with some shit software wise try going to device manager and uninstalling and reinstalling usb drivers and such.

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Doubt it your usb controller probably fucked with some shit software wise try going to device manager and uninstalling and reinstalling usb drivers and such.

i reinstalled windows on a new ssd to test, installed the audio drivers and same thing, i didnt install the usb though, assuming windows would of done that anyway

2 minutes ago, perplex said:

i reinstalled windows on a new ssd to test, installed the audio drivers and same thing, i didnt install the usb though, assuming windows would of done that anyway

Honestly it should have I'm just throwing shit at the wall I really don't know why your PC would be doing something like that to be honest.

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

Honestly it should have I'm just throwing shit at the wall I really don't know why your PC would be doing something like that to be honest.

yea, this shit doesnt make any sence

also i forgot to add what could be important after the sound stopped working i restarted my computer, and it booted into the BIOS, but from what i could tell, all my settings are the same, but for it to do that, means something happened, i just dont know what

Update

since reinstalling dint work, i unplugged everything and put it back in, then i did a CMOS clear and flashed BIOS

rear port still doesnt work correct

installed the STX again and everything seems to be working again. the front panel still doesn't work, only left works, no idea why, the STX must be broken, but i don't care about the front panels atm.

so

Rear port is fked

i have no clue what fixed the STX but something did, i also have no clue why plug in a usb will fry my onboard sound and parts of my STX, doesn't make sence, ill keep monitoring it to see what happens.

Just now, Dr_badwolf said:

onboard sound + usb both PCIE bus

care to explain abit more?

Just now, perplex said:

care to explain abit more?

Think of devices as all USB sticks...
But instead of plugging into USB
-
They plug directly into the processor
- or the memory
or the PCI bus
etc...

Now the rear port not workign is more than likely just not using the WDM drivers
but sometimes it shorts out

that kills (or messes with) the sound too...

So my first step would be to nerf the drivers and go full windows stock

USB drivers are picky as hell

Uninstall them
And reinstall them using windows standard XHCI

Just now, Dr_badwolf said:

USB drivers are picky as hell

Uninstall them
And reinstall them using windows standard XHCI

so somehow the driver gave it the wrong info and shorted?

so you recommend just not installing any usb drivers, what about realtek drivers?