How to enable and disable access to certain Windows accounts on the same computer?

cpugeek21

I just created a separate work account on my desktop, and I'm having certain problems.

1) How to enable and disable access to certain programs? For instance, if I originally had 10 programs on my admin account, I only want to enable access to 5.

2) There are some programs that I do not want (eg. Steam for gaming). How do I go about removing them? Should I just disable the shortcut? Or should I actually go about disabling access to it as well?

3) There are some programs that are totally not showing up on the second account. How to make sure that I can see them from the second account?

Thanks!

There's really not a good way to do any of this. You'll have do it manually for each application. There are different ways to accomplish this:

1. Using Registry to restrict apps on a per user basis

2. Using GPO to restrict apps to a whitelist

3. Using File Permissions to allow only certain users have read/write/execute permissions to some applications

Here's a resource that should help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8739/restrict-users-to-run-only-specified-programs-in-windows-7/

As for the programs that aren't showing up? Most likely those programs are missing a shortcut in the Start Menu for the user in question. You just need to create new shortcuts for the "missing" programs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)