Problems with resolution virtualbox

Epimetheus

Hi guys, i don't know if this is the right place to post it, but whatever.

I'm trying to run Manjaro linux on a virtual machine in virtualbox, but it doesn't let me change the resolution. I've already installed all the packets and the guest additions. What do i do now?

14 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

change the resolution.

If memory serves, VirtualBox controls that under the config section.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If memory serves, VirtualBox controls that under the config section.

What i mean is it shows me the resolutions, but they're all locked 

fortnita.PNG

Just now, Epimetheus said:

What i mean is it shows me the resolutions, but they're all locked 

Under the config part of VB, what did you select for a resolution?

Are you using PCIe passthrough, or software acceleration for the video?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I've now put 1920x1080, (it used to be 640x480), but it still stays the same. How do i check if i'm using any of the other two?

I tried 6 different distros and its all the same through VM ware the OS is small 640res box and there is nothing you can do about it.  If you install it tho on HD you will not have this issue and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

i checked and it looks like i have 3d hardware acceleration enabled, while it doesn't let me enable 2d video acceleration

5 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

I've now put 1920x1080, (it used to be 640x480), but it still stays the same. How do i check if i'm using any of the other two?

Just now, Epimetheus said:

i checked and it looks like i have 3d hardware acceleration enabled, while it doesn't let me enable 2d video acceleration

That's probably software acceleration then, PCIe passthrough is a whole new can of worms. For the time being, if you are just experimenting with Manjaro, then leave it as a window. If you are trying for a permanent VM, then we will go further and set up PCIe passthrough (aka hardware acceleration)

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's probably software acceleration then, PCIe passthrough is a whole new can of worms. For the time being, if you are just experimenting with Manjaro, then leave it as a window. If you are trying for a permanent VM, then we will go further and set up PCIe passthrough (aka hardware acceleration)

i'm looking to use virtual machines for casual use, like trying a new os, and it would be annoying to keep using a very tiny window. Is hardware acceleration a long or complicated process?

3 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

Is hardware acceleration a long or complicated process?

Yup, and typically requires an additional video card be dedicated to the VM.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yup, and typically requires an additional video card be dedicated to the VM.

i see. I'm not going to mess up with my pc just for fun. I probably installed everything correctly, but i know nearly nothing about linux distros and just trusted the tutorials i found to install the guest packs. Do you know any other problem i could be having?

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

Do you know any other problem i could be having?

According to the link I posted above, you need to restart the VB program before the guest additions will take affect.

If you've done that, then I don't know any other options.

I am not at home right now, but if the problem persists tonight, I'll fire up my VBox and see what I can do to further help.

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

According to the link I posted above, you need to restart the VB program before the guest additions will take affect.

I am not at home right now, but if the problem persists tonight, I'll fire up my VBox and see what I can do to further help.

still doesn't work, i'm now trying another way

21 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

i finally did it. Had to install the kernel headers and then reinstalled the guest additions

32 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

i finally did it. Had to install the kernel headers and then reinstalled the guest additions

So you have full screen and resolution changing now?

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So you have full screen and resolution changing now?

yep, thank you for the help anyways

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

yep, thank you for the help anyways

Excellent! Enjoy!