Wait or Buy now?

Energy151

I’ve been saving up all year and I finally have enough for my whole setup plus some games. Theoretically I could order my stuff today and build on the weekend. Since I’m new to building, I don’t know about yearly trends so my question is; if I wait until around November December does anyone think my build will have any significant price drops(significant for me is 100 or more) or should I just pull the trigger now?

Here’s the planned setup(shooting for 1080p well above 60fps)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Energy151/saved/#view=7rMx6h

Here’s the monitor I already have if anyone is interested in knowing:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K

Just now, Eluchil said:

Why are you doing a 2060 super instead of a 5700 xt?

There's still a reason to, namely NVENC encoding.

If you plan on recording gameplay, AMD is absolutely garbage as an option unless you want to consider CPU encoding. NVENC, especially on Turing cards (minus the 1650), is probably the best solution outside of an external video recorder.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

If you plan on recording gameplay, AMD is absolutely garbage as an option unless you want to consider CPU encoding. NVENC, especially on Turing cards (minus the 1650), is probably the best solution outside of an external video recorder.

According to someone the navi encoder is roughly on par with Nvidia Pascal encoder. Obviously both are far being Turing encoder, but I wouldn't say the AMD encoder is garbage... unless you have information suggestion otherwise :)

But the real question I have isn’t gpu choice it’s should I buy my parts rn?

7 minutes ago, Energy151 said:

But the real question I have isn’t gpu choice it’s should I buy my parts rn?

Make sure to quote people you are responding to or most of the time they wont see it because they don't follow the thread. This will give them a notification that you have responded. 

HOLY HELL that is one heavily overpriced 2060S. Don't waste so much money

That card is NOT worth 450. The 5700XT is notably faster.for less..

12 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

According to someone the navi encoder is roughly on par with Nvidia Pascal encoder. Obviously both are far being Turing encoder, but I wouldn't say the AMD encoder is garbage... unless you have information suggestion otherwise :)

Well, the Pascal encoder was behind x264 if I recall, though I haven't done my own qualitative comparison. Turing's encoder, however, is more on par with x264, if not surpasses it in some tests. EposVox does some thorough testing on streaming, I'm not sure on the recording results, however.

Y2Gh6eQ.jpg

As far as streaming is concerned, the RX 5700 is not worth considering. As far as recording, if you can work with HEVC, I hear it's fine, but I don't trust the h.264 encoder at all.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

prices might get a drop during cyber monday/black friday, but that's not guaranteed. 

Some changes to your list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($327.89 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($95.85 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($55.99 @ Amazon) the hybrid only has a small SSD cache, so only a couple of programs will get the benefits.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($70.00) from newegg.
Keyboard: Redragon K551-N Wired Standard Keyboard  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 110 Wired Optical Mouse  ($22.88 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1297.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 21:57 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

prices might get a drop during cyber monday/black friday, but that's not guaranteed. 

Some changes to your list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($327.89 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($95.85 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($55.99 @ Amazon) the hybrid only has a small SSD cache, so only a couple of programs will get the benefits.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($70.00) from newegg.
Keyboard: Redragon K551-N Wired Standard Keyboard  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 110 Wired Optical Mouse  ($22.88 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1297.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-09 21:57 EDT-0400

My only concern would be that it says the board needs a bios update and I don’t have any second gen Ryzen cpus

1 hour ago, Energy151 said:

My only concern would be that it says the board needs a bios update and I don’t have any second gen Ryzen cpus

it has bios flashback, just put the BIOS file on the thumbdrive, put it in the motherboard's usb slot and click on the bios flashback button.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 hours ago, Energy151 said:

I’m planning to record some gameplay yes

I would make some smart cuts (5700XT, maybe like a Devastator 3, 3TB Toshiba HDD for a $20 savings, etc.) and put that toward a 3700X. The difference will easily justify an AMD GPU for solid gaming, and x264 for a more customizable recording/streaming experience.

NVENC is fine for a high efficiency stream, but if you want to stream in higher quality and especially if you want to record, you'll want to use OBS or something similar, and go for a CPU bound stream.

Also don't spend $100 on a CX series PSU. Grab this guy instead. Costs less, significant quality increase, and your case has a PSU cage, so no need to worry about non modular being an issue.