hotspot shield alternatives?

Evil Genius Jr.

I'm looking for a vpn which will allow me to switch my location to say a UK IP. I know hot spot shield elite does this but are there any other alternatives want to consider other options instead of just going with hotspot shield because Linus recommends it. I still may end up with it though.

Thanks!

there are millions of other VPN's, just pick a big one which happens to have their hosting servers in the UK

I personally use PureVPN. It's a flawless service. Much much better than HSS.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I don't even understand why Hotspot Shield is popular. I would strongly recommend Private Internet Access with L2TP/IPSEC. They claim they don't keep any traffic logs or monitor users activities, except they are based in the US - NSA - make of that what you will. Either way any modern VPN deployment shouldn't use PPTP, stick with L2TP/IPSEC regardless of which service you go with. Hotspot Shield provides almost no information as to the type of VPN or encryption provided, it doesn't look like IPSEC. PPTP is strangely pervasive with MSCHAPv2 and very susceptible to offline dictionary attack. It also relies on the users password for the encryption - people don't pick strong passwords. The root of the problem with MSCHAPv2 is it uses DES 3 times...that is additive complexity not multiplicative complexity and is NOT the same as 3DES.

Okay thanks guys! I'll check out those options, in the meantime I have setup vpnbook which is free and working good so far.

Private Internet access is awesome. Best VPN i have ever used by far.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

I really like expressvpn. Great VPN with its own app

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz