New Build Pre vs DIY

Clare

Heres my DIY ignore the monitor on the price. I just want to know if this computer is better than the pre built and if i could improve on it spec wise to the pre built while staying at or under 1500 dollars. 

DIY-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GZM9q4

Pre Built-

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-8700-16gb-memory-nvidia-rtx-2070-8gb-1tb-ssd-black-gray/6292002.p?skuId=6292002

It would be a bit worse; but that's because you're not using recent components. You're ignoring Ryzen 3000, RTX 2000 series and Navi series.

This is a pretty massive improvement:

I'm swapping the 2700X with a 3700X; which has much better single core and PCIe 4.0 (although you won't be able to take advatange of it because of a B450 motherboard). This also makes the multicore better.

You don't need an X470 so I swapped it for a B450.

I changed the DDR4-2666 to a DDR4-3600 module.

I swapped the 3TB HDD and 500GB SATA SSD with a 1TB NVMe drive;

I changed the GTX 1080 for a RTX 2080 SUPER (A massive improvement over the RTX 2070 or a GTX 1080)

I changed the PSU for a 650W MWE Gold, which is cheaper and does well.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

i woulda get a 550w

It's a high end system; 550W would work but I would do 650W just for headroom.

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

It's a high end system; 550W would work but I would do 650W just for headroom.

That system draw like 350W-400W max in gaming, only a 9900k+2080ti would ponetially require 650W... at which point i would not use the MWE gold 

don't ever pick pre built for gaming pc

trust me

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($238.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.33 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win 101 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1527.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-07 14:34 EDT-0400

I agree with the changes to the ram to 3200 but in my research and to my understanding there is no reason to go beyond 3200 on ram plus more reliable reviews on 3200 and the gpu to 2080, but i disagree with the need to change the power supply to a non modular one. I have question on the reasoning to change the cpu from 2700x to something more i am not up to date on the latest cpus if you could defend why i should change it and the need to downgrade the motherboard as well if im getting a higher end cpu. also i dont understand why i should go with a ssd only pc since your cant write on and off as much as a hard drive i was just going to use it for startup and maybe 2 games.

3 minutes ago, Clare said:

I agree with the changes to the ram to 3200 but in my research and to my understanding there is no reason to go beyond 3200 on ram plus more reliable reviews on 3200 and the gpu to 2080, but i disagree with the need to change the power supply to a non modular one. I have question on the reasoning to change the cpu from 2700x to something more i am not up to date on the latest cpus if you could defend why i should change it and the need to downgrade the motherboard as well if im getting a higher end cpu. also i dont understand why i should go with a ssd only pc since your cant write on and off as much as a hard drive i was just going to use it for startup and maybe 2 games.

I'm going 3600MHz on RAM as it's not much cheaper and should increase the performance of Ryzen 3000 quite a bit.

I'd go for the 2080 SUPER instead of the 2080 if you can; it's basically close to a 2080 Ti.

I didn't change it to a non modular for it being non modular; just for being good value and still being really great. Upgrade it to a RM650x for a fully modular one that's pretty good too.

The 3700X is a massive improvement over the 2700x; it's pretty close to a 9900k in terms of performance.

HDDs are really slow nowadays and for many purposes they're obsolete. In terms of endurance, the Sabrent Rocket actually surprisingly does really well at 1665TBW (1.665PBW); that's absolutely overkill and you'll nmever reach that.

Downgrading the motherboard is just because it's cheaper and you don't need such an expensive motherboard; a B450 TOMAHAWK will do just fine.

I have to go walk now for about an hour, hope this answers your questions

49 minutes ago, Clare said:

The 2700X belongs to the previous generation of AMD cpus. The latest generation has significantly better performance. In games the newer generation is quite competitive with Intel counter parts generally within 2% - 5%. The previous generation is nowhere near that close.

A 1TB Intel 660p can have more than 50GB written to it every day for ten years before it will start to wear out.  

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

The 2700X belongs to the previous generation of AMD cpus. The latest generation has significantly better performance. In games the newer generation is quite competitive with Intel counter parts generally within 2% - 5%. The previous generation is nowhere near that close.

A 1TB Intel 660p can have more than 50GB written to it every day for ten years before it will start to wear out.  

yes i agree that the new cpus are better but for the sake of saving money i dont see the need to pay another 130 dollars for a performance boost when the 2700x runs beautiful in my current system. the numbers are better but not to the degree that i would pay over 100 dollars more.

here is the new current build 

6 minutes ago, Clare said:

when the 2700x runs beautiful in my current system

After reading the OP I did not realize that you already owned the components. Perhaps you could edit the OP so others do not waste their time with senseless suggestions.

1 minute ago, brob said:

After reading the OP I did not realize that you already owned the components. Perhaps you could edit the OP so others do not waste their time with senseless suggestions.

i dont own this rig yet this is a second rig 

Just now, Clare said:

i dont own this rig yet this is a second rig 

Thoroughly confused by arguments then. If you are happy with 2700X performance why are you asking about an i7-8700? For gaming an i7 is usually going to have better performance than a 2700x. 

sorry for the confusion let me restate the question. the question is is this prebuilt for 1500 better than what i can build at the same price my rig cost 2500 in total im not trying to spend that again so i went and asked what improvements i could make with what i had. some told me to get a 3000 or 3700 instead of a 2700x so i ask why bc when looking at the numbers it was not good enough value to justify the price difference for me but someone could change my mind. the prebuilt having 8700 is just that it has that and is that better than 2700x for gaming, i saw minor improvements in performance bc my gpu is a 2080ti so this computer being now on a 5700 might not benefit much more than 10-30 fps with a more expensive cpu. that is why im asking for recommendations or if it is the best it could be as is for the price.