Wireless range extender lag spikes

kosztyal

Hello guys!

I recently moved into a  new apartment, and due to its layout, i cannot wire my pc directly to the router, so what i've done is i bought a range extender(tl-wa850re), and wired my pc to it, the extender itself is like a meter from the router, signal is perfect, and latency is near perfect most of the time, but every 20-30 seconds i get a huge lag spike(200-300ms), then it is back to normal. I'm fairly certain that the issue is the connection between the repeater and the router, because i pinged my router, and this is the result i got:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 99, Received = 99, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 344ms, Average = 10ms

This seems to happen pretty randomly, i do not know why.

I tried: Updating firmware, disabling ipv6(someone suggested it on another forum),disabling other devices.

So far, nothing worked, and I would be extremely thankful if anyone could give me any tips as to how can this be solved.

1 hour ago, kosztyal said:

Hello guys!

I recently moved into a  new apartment, and due to its layout, i cannot wire my pc directly to the router, so what i've done is i bought a range extender(tl-wa850re), and wired my pc to it, the extender itself is like a meter from the router, signal is perfect, and latency is near perfect most of the time, but every 20-30 seconds i get a huge lag spike(200-300ms), then it is back to normal. I'm fairly certain that the issue is the connection between the repeater and the router, because i pinged my router, and this is the result i got:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 99, Received = 99, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 344ms, Average = 10ms

This seems to happen pretty randomly, i do not know why.

I tried: Updating firmware, disabling ipv6(someone suggested it on another forum),disabling other devices.

So far, nothing worked, and I would be extremely thankful if anyone could give me any tips as to how can this be solved.

This is normal for wireless. My guess if you have some interference on the wireless channel your using. But higher than normal latency is normal on wireless unfortunately. Id try changing the wireless channel and use 5Ghz if available. Besides that there is not much you can do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

This is normal for wireless. My guess if you have some interference on the wireless channel your using. But higher than normal latency is normal on wireless unfortunately. Id try changing the wireless channel and use 5Ghz if available. Besides that there is not much you can do. 

Thats the same i tought, but if it were interference shouldnt it be constantly slow? Im mad because its perfect for like a minute then it spikes up for a second only, then back to normal. Like what kind of interference could that be?

1 hour ago, kosztyal said:

Thats the same i tought, but if it were interference shouldnt it be constantly slow? Im mad because its perfect for like a minute then it spikes up for a second only, then back to normal. Like what kind of interference could that be?

Other networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, Bluetooth, weather radar, just to name a few. Weather radar operates on 5Ghz in the USA. That’s what DFS 5 GHz channels are, they share the band. Like anything made that has wireless 2.4 GHz will interfere with the 2.4 GHz band.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.