Problems with DNS

TheNuzziNuzz

Hi, I have a custom DNS server running on my network. I have pointed windows at it.

When I ping a website it fails, yet nslookup succeeds, it simply makes no sense:

image.png.31f250e89d3b8914abf5b67ec199e1a7.png

Computers r fun

run tracert, see where it dies

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

37 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

image.png.b40e62bb5b8d189866bf8fafdf9f2749.png

Computers r fun

39 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

image.png.f503fde65b7289c870a397841d9d27ed.png

Weird, I had to set the DNS settings again. It wasn't using my server.

Computers r fun

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

image.png.f503fde65b7289c870a397841d9d27ed.png

Weird, I had to set the DNS settings again. It wasn't using my server.

looks like its going all the way through,  your dns isnt configured correctly and its just black holing all your traffic.

so, your computer is set to use your private dns server, but your private server still needs to have an upstream dns configured.  im thinking its looping because your private dns is using itself as the upstream, which it shouldnt be.   set your servers dns to googles (8.8.8.8) and see what happens

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

looks like its going all the way through,  your dns isnt configured correctly and its just black holing all your traffic.

so, your computer is set to use your private dns server, but your private server still needs to have an upstream dns configured.  im thinking its looping because your private dns is using itself as the upstream, which it shouldnt be.   set your servers dns to googles (8.8.8.8) and see what happens

I had it set to 1.1.1.1, setting it to google's doesn't make a difference. I know its successfully resolving DNS requests to the upstream DNS. 

Here is some interesting results - 

I ran this command:

image.png.bfa6a0edbd583ca7f43d56bc7828aaac.png

And this is the log from my DNS server just from running that command:

image.png.10af19db78552677c8e4af60e7b25a37.png

The DNS server is configured to resolve failed DNS requests to it's HTTP server on 10.0.0.2 but that isn't working either.

It seems the DNS requests are going into a black hole of sorts, my server receives them and seems to send the response but then the response is ignored and it just goes through some backup server? I proved this by setting a firewall in windows that applies to port 53 of Chrome that blocks ips 1.1.1.1 through 8.8.8.8. Then chrome started getting "No Internet" errors on website's it hadn't cached DNS for. Still my server was logging requests but chrome never actually used them...

Computers r fun