Heatshrink-less cable sleeving

kimura1243
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, kimura1243 said:

Damn, I guess it will be best to order some heatshrink and wait till it arrives... 

Thanks!

Oh, one more thing, since I'll need one 8 pin and one 4 pin cable for the cpu (with 4 pin being optional, but still...) will it be okay if I make a 8 to 4 pin cpu cable and leave the other 4 pins (to the PSU) empty? I think there's no reason for it not to work, but still.

Truthfully, ignore the 4 pin. Absolutely unnecessary and pointless. No current CPU will ever come close to hitting the current load thats available to a single 8 pin. 

Hello, I just received my paracord this morning. Started sleeving my 8-pin cable, and quickly realized I've forgot to order heatshrink ?‍♂️.

From what I've seen heatshrink is used even when going for that clean heatshrink-less look (you shrink it, then remove it).

What I was wondering is, what will happen if I just gently burn the sleeving at the end, without a heatshrink? Will it come lose after some time, or is the heatshrink used just so you don't f* up the sleeving?

Any type of pull on it when training or tightening the cable will cause it to lose place and come undone. best bet may be to use a dab of some super glue or something. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Any type of pull on it when training or tightening the cable will cause it to lose place and come undone. best bet may be to use a dab of some super glue or something. 

Damn, I guess it will be best to order some heatshrink and wait till it arrives... 

Thanks!

Oh, one more thing, since I'll need one 8 pin and one 4 pin cable for the cpu (with 4 pin being optional, but still...) will it be okay if I make a 8 to 4 pin cpu cable and leave the other 4 pins (to the PSU) empty? I think there's no reason for it not to work, but still.

16 minutes ago, kimura1243 said:

if I just gently burn the sleeving at the end, without a heatshrink? Will it come lose after some time, or is the heatshrink used just so you don't f* up the sleeving?

NO DONT DO THAT!!

psu cables are totally different from heat shrink.

they are normal plastic and flamable. most likely to short out the psu circuit

just use some black tape instead

Just now, kimura1243 said:

Thanks!

Truthfully, ignore the 4 pin. Absolutely unnecessary and pointless. No current CPU will ever come close to hitting the current load thats available to a single 8 pin. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

NO DONT DO THAT!!

psu cables are totally different from heat shrink.

they are normal plastic and flamable. most likely to short out the psu circuit

just use some black tape instead

I meant burning the paracord, not the cable itself. 

Edit: Burning is probably not the word I'm looking for.. it's more like warming it up so it shrinks a bit, haha.

10 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yeah, I've been running the system for half a year without the 4 pin, but thought it might give it a more fleshed out look, haha. 

Thanks again!