DD-WRT Troubleshooting

So i flashed my Netgear AC1900 R7000 (v1) with DD-WRT, no bricking so that's good.

Then I wanted to setup a client mode on the DD-WRT device itself so that I can have it wirelessly connect to the main AP for internet and be on a separate subnet.

AP: 192.168.0.1-254

DD-WRT: 192.168.1.1-254

Only problem is that I followed the instructions on how to put it into client mode and have it connect to the AP with the right SSID and password, and on my LAN (RJ-45 ports on DD-WRT device) I get no internet connection.

What did I do wrong in this case?

Have you set the default gateway on the dd-wrt? 

What is the DHCP pool used on the dd-wrt?

3 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Have you set the default gateway on the dd-wrt? 

What is the DHCP pool used on the dd-wrt?

should the default gateway be the dd-wrt itself or the ap that it's accessing for the internet?

And, "DHCP pool"?  Forgive me, I'm still relatively new to it.  If I had to guess you mean the static DNS servers or is there an option in it literally called, "DNS Pool"?

2 hours ago, Bendy_BSD said:

should the default gateway be the dd-wrt itself or the ap that it's accessing for the internet?

And, "DHCP pool"?  Forgive me, I'm still relatively new to it.  If I had to guess you mean the static DNS servers or is there an option in it literally called, "DNS Pool"?

The default gateway must be the host on the same network which knows the route for other networks (because he is directly connected to another network), so for your dd-wrt which is connected to the main AP it would be the default gateway of the AP network for that interface, as for your hosts on the dd-wrt that should be the dd-wrt itself, just think of the dd-wrt with two interfaces, one that faces the main AP and the other one who faces your internal DD wrt hosts 

Your main AP should be already configured with the correct gateway, otherwise it wouldn't even get to the internet, and the dd-wrt itself with the interface connected to the AP should be good because it probably just got a DHCP address with the correct information

I said DHCP pool because I assume you configured the addresses on the host you connect to the dd-wrt, which contains all that information such as the IP address you want to assign, DNS servers, default gateway, etc

13 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

The default gateway must be the host on the same network which knows the route for other networks (because he is directly connected to another network), so for your dd-wrt which is connected to the main AP it would be the default gateway of the AP network for that interface, as for your hosts on the dd-wrt that should be the dd-wrt itself, just think of the dd-wrt with two interfaces, one that faces the main AP and the other one who faces your internal DD wrt hosts 

Your main AP should be already configured with the correct gateway, otherwise it wouldn't even get to the internet, and the dd-wrt itself with the interface connected to the AP should be good because it probably just got a DHCP address with the correct information

I said DHCP pool because I assume you configured the addresses on the host you connect to the dd-wrt, which contains all that information such as the IP address you want to assign, DNS servers, default gateway, etc

Ohhhhh got it.

And since it is connected to the AP in client mode, it makes that wireless interface that it uses to connect to the AP as the WAN, and if I were to check(box) the option to disable the WAN that would in turn also disable my internet connection correct?

Just curious.

2 hours ago, Bendy_BSD said:

Ohhhhh got it.

And since it is connected to the AP in client mode, it makes that wireless interface that it uses to connect to the AP as the WAN, and if I were to check(box) the option to disable the WAN that would in turn also disable my internet connection correct?

Just curious.

I never configured a dd-wrt so I don't know what specific settings to look for, btw yes it should

it's just like a Linux host with a wireless interface connected to the main AP called wlan0, which will have the IP address and gateway configured like a normal host, then it has another interface, called eth0 where you connect, with another IP address range, and since the dd-wrt is already connected to the main AP it will see that interface as "directly connected" so will make the route for another network (first the main AP, then the internet) just make sure the gateway is configured as dd-wrt for clients connecting from eth0

2 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

I never configured a dd-wrt so I don't know what specific settings to look for, btw yes it should

it's just like a Linux host with a wireless interface connected to the main AP called wlan0, which will have the IP address and gateway configured like a normal host, then it has another interface, called eth0 where you connect, with another IP address range, and since the dd-wrt is already connected to the main AP it will see that interface as "directly connected" so will make the route for another network (first the main AP, then the internet) just make sure the gateway is configured as dd-wrt for clients connecting from eth0

Gotcha.   And by the way, since it was my first install of the OS (DD-WRT) are there any additional packages that I would need to install as well?  (Driver updates, etc.)