Get the Ryzen 9 3900x or wait for the 3950x

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

if the 3950x does 4.1-4.2 at 175w then that's already beyond my expectations, ill take it lol

I can't know for sure, and it will vary from chip to chip, but based on the above, I would be absolutely shocked if it exceeds 200 W at that speed, never mind 300

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well I remember during release there were reviews about the power draws of Zen 2. Apparently the 3900x at maximum all-core overclock only draws up to 170ish watts, and I'm pretty sure that was most likely during a torture or stress test. The 3700x or 3800x was drawing maximums of like 140ish. So between those two, differences of 4 cores and 8 threads, there was a difference of only about 30-40 watts on maximum all-core overclocks. Following this trend, it's reasonable to expect the 3950x to max out at about ~200 watts (a little more or a little less) on the upper limit of its all-core overclock. It surely shouldn't exceed ~220 watts, and that would only be if you all-core overclock it to difficult territory during a really intensive workload.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, lansing said:

Those stocks on Newegg are from 3rd party sellers, not Newegg, that's why you see the jacked up price. The Newegg stock got snipe in 30 minutes every time it went back up.

damn, that blows. Thank god for local MC. Are there no other retailers you can buy from that arent inflated?

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170 G1 GamingCPU: i7 6700k-GPU:ZOTAC 1070 AMP! EDITION-PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750 80G RAM: 16GB G. SKILLS RIPJAWS Z 2100STORAGE: 500gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD; WD BLACK 1TB- CPU COOLER: BE QUIET DARK ROCK  PRO 3 190W TDP.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't seen this in the discussions yet, 

There has been newly released information regarding the release date of the 3950x. 3 sources reporting on a leak spotted on a Switzerland retailer's website shows a listing for the Ryzen 9 3950x. The listing provides an availability of the processor on Monday, September 30th. Once discovered, the listing was taken down.

During E3, AMD stated the processor would be made available for purchase in September without mentioning a specific date. September 30th would uphold AMD's word for a September release date but only barely. Being that the 30th would be the last day for AMD to release the processor on the typical Monday release time, the listing appears to hold some truth.

However it is worthy to note that the listing price was set at €999.99 ($1107.19 US) which is far from the previously announced price of $749.99 US at E3. This could be a simple placeholder on the site but the inconsistency is worthy of mention.

Sources:

TechRadar: https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-release-date-may-be-incoming

HotHardware: https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-16-core-cpu-september-30-release

PcGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-cpu-boost-frequency-bios-fix

4 hours ago, 19power97 said:

*snip*

Good update.  Regarding the price I very much suspect it is a placeholder, since changing it after it's already been announced would be an odd move and not go over well.  There's also no reason to think they would have problems offering it for $750 given the rest of their current lineup.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.