No display but everything turns on

Sam J
Go to solution Solved by xhackforeverxdx,

Could be your Mainboard that needs a Bios update to run 3th gen Ryzen 

Hi!

I just started upgrading my build. I moved from ATX to mini ITX, so I got a new mobo, cpu and gpu (Listed at bottom). When I plug it in, the mobo's standby power led is always orange and never changes. The trouble shooting leds (boot, vga, dram, cpu) never light up. There is no beeping or anything like my ATX board did when there were problems. When I turn it on all of the fans run (case, cpu, gpu) and the rgb lights are always on. I have tried with both my known working gpu and my new rtx 2070 FE but nothing is working. It doesn't show the bios starting at all so I cant use delete to get to it and there is no output or sounds to say something is wrong. Im completely stumped.

Parts:

cpu: AMD ryzen 5 3600

mobo: ROG strix b450-i gaming

ram: 2 x 8bg G.Skill DDR4 ripjaw V series

gpu: gtx 1070 / rtx 2070

psu: EVGA 650 GQ 80+ gold semi modular

storage: 2 x 2tb WD blue, sandisk 580gb ssd (boot drive), samsung evo 1tb ssd

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

Could be your Mainboard that needs a Bios update to run 3th gen Ryzen 

How can I update it if the bios doesn't boot?

Here comes the bad part if it really needs a bios update the board is from 2018 so it was made pre ryzen gen 3 u need a ryzen 1/2 gen chip to update the bios 

3 minutes ago, Sam J said:

How can I update it if the bios doesn't boot?

You have to use the bios flashback feature: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Ryzen 7 5800X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | 64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC | Phanteks P500ACorsair RM1000X | 3x2TB NVME, 4TB 870 Evo Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO | LG CX Oled 55" 

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

This board can do it without a chip ? thats nice ^^ i just googled the Board it 100% needs a bios update to run ryzen 3000 series 

I think most newer boards have this option now. My current Gigabyte board has it as well as the two previous ASUS boards I've owned.

Ryzen 7 5800X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | 64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC | Phanteks P500ACorsair RM1000X | 3x2TB NVME, 4TB 870 Evo Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO | LG CX Oled 55" 

Thank you so much! I will do it now!

Just now, eismcsquared said:

I think most newer boards have this option now. My current Gigabyte board has it as well as the two previous ASUS boards I've owned.

Guess i am getting old hahahah good to know :) 

14 minutes ago, eismcsquared said:

It shows a single usb port and a button, but mine does not have that from what I can tell. Do I have to take my cpu out to get to the bios to update? I don't see a button to tell it to boot from the usb.