Use HyperX Cloud II Microphone standalone

Fujo

Hello there,

I recently upgraded my audio solution from a HyperX Cloud II to a Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro.

Now i planed of reusing the mic from the Cloud II. The Problem with that is that the mic only works if i plug it in for about 3/4 and i have to hold it in place.

As this is not very practical I was searching if someone already came across that Problem, didnt find one.

I already tried a TRS female to TS male 3,5 Adapter and a TRRS male to 2x TRS female adapter. No difference at all, the exact same Problem.

The exact mic is the HXS-HSMC1 from here

I hope someone has any Idea.

Thanks in advance

I don't have one to experiment on but it looks like a basic mic with a 3.5 mm TRS plug.  In theory, you should be able to just put that into the mic (pink) port of the PC and go.  Take care to turn up the gain if necessary, you may need all it can give.  Have you tried this?  Does this not work?

Edit: Just so there's no confusion, we're talking about this, correct?

image.png.d363740e295103a69d0307603b3fac4d.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah its this one. Yeah, it looks like a TRS, but it seems that the connections are not standard.

If I Plug it in the 3,5mm it wont work. I have to pull it out a bit. Thats what I meant with "the mic only works if i plug it in for about 3/4". If its plugged in fully it wont work.

//Edit: I tried it wit the Onboard Soundcard, an cheap USB Soundcard, and with the new Sharkoon DAC + TRRS-> 2x TRS. Non of them work.

Edited by Fujo
//Edit

19 hours ago, Fujo said:

Yeah its this one. Yeah, it looks like a TRS, but it seems that the connections are not standard.

If I Plug it in the 3,5mm it wont work. I have to pull it out a bit. Thats what I meant with "the mic only works if i plug it in for about 3/4". If its plugged in fully it wont work.

//Edit: I tried it wit the Onboard Soundcard, an cheap USB Soundcard, and with the new Sharkoon DAC + TRRS-> 2x TRS. Non of them work.

Interesting, they must have gone out of their way to wire it in a proprietary manner.  I've been thinking about this off and on for a while now, hence the slow reply, and the only thing I can think of trying is getting a cable you can cut open and splice to rewire it in different ways until it (hopefully) works.  I'm not sure there's an official solution.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, I got some Cables that i can tamper with. I also ordered some 3,5 jacks. I'll try some stuff and hopefully can report positive in the next days.

I'm still down for ideas if somebody has any.

10 hours ago, Fujo said:

Yeah, I got some Cables that i can tamper with. I also ordered some 3,5 jacks. I'll try some stuff and hopefully can report positive in the next days.

I'm still down for ideas if somebody has any.

There are 3 pins in (from the mic) and 3 pins out (to PC, altho technically you should only need two since the mic is almost certainly mono).  That leaves at most 6 combinations to try.  Imagine the mic side is labeled with numbers and the PC side is labeled with letters:

• A1, B2, C3
  • A1, B3, C2
  • A2, B1, C3
  • A2, B3, C1
  • A3, B1, C2
  • A3, B2, C1

In theory one of these has to work.  There may be several that work, keep an eye on which channel(s) in the PC are getting a signal, the phase of the signal, etc.  In the end, we may or may not only get a signal in one of the stereo channels but this can be fixed in software, or in hardware if you want to fuse two wires once you know the mapping.

Correct btw, hyperX uses an awkward pinout (People try plugging their ModMic into that jack often and it doesn't work because of this).

There's some threads on Reddit you can find where people have modded their headphones / cables that have the proper pinout, unfortunately I can't seem to find them right now, but they're out there.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!