how to go about repasting a gpu?

Ashleyyyy

I want to repaste my 290X, since i'm seeing idle temps of 55. and i mean staring at the desktop idle. not even watching youtube. 

however i don't know what paste is best to use. i'm all out of thermal paste anyway so if i need to order more anyway i might as well get one that's better suited for gpu's if there is one. 

i also don't know what to replace the thermal pads with if i need to do that. i've never repasted a gpu this new before so i'm kinda going in blind here. 

any help is appreciated :) 

She/Her

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and, all I did was take the card apart, wipe the old paste off then put the old pads back where they were.

Just watch some disassembly videos and you'll be fine. :P

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

my 2070 also working with 54℃ with out playing games, but I turned on the fan stop function.The fan will only start to rotate when the graphics card temperature is higher than 55 degrees.

i think 55° is not a problem.

air temperature is about 30℃

Snipaste_2019-08-21_09-52-03.png

2 hours ago, rabbit_kick_eagle said:

i think 55° is not a problem.

air temperature is about 30℃

yeah that's the issue. the air here is about 20, maybe even less. 

my cpu is 27 rn, the 290X is 55. 

also, under load the 290X shoots to 95 degrees and then throttles down significantly. 

She/Her

27 minutes ago, Twilight said:

i'm all out of thermal paste anyway

my memory tells me 290x is a pretty hot card. its fine if the clocks speed doesnt drop at max temp.

if you dont have any plan on using the rest of the thermal paste , better not bother getting one...

as for paste, anything cheap above 3~4W/mK is good enough

2 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

my memory tells me 290x is a pretty hot card. its fine if the clocks speed doesnt drop at max temp.

if you dont have any plan on using the rest of the thermal paste , better not bother getting one...

if i start a game it shoots to 95 degrees in like 20 seconds, and then throttles down. it's also very loud. 

this is also not a reference card. it's an MSI Twin Frozr. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

your right, time to get some paste.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-r9-290x-gaming/28.html

yeah that's what i would expect from it in a well ventilated case like mine. i'll look at it shortly. i'm selling my 690 so this will be the only card i have until it eventually dies. and i think 95 degrees and throttling isn't gonna improve it's lifespan lmao

She/Her

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here... Kryonaut, while very good, is really not worth the price. Prolimatech PK-3 is within 1°c on any performance test I've ever seen, (within margin of error) and is between half and 1/5th the price.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms