Upgrading from Gtx 970

The Pizza Thief
Go to solution Solved by phoenixflower,
3 hours ago, MultiLito said:

Hello there, I just ran into some issues where my display port cable bricked my graphics card because of the well known pin 20 power issue. I have about $550 dlls to spend on a graphics card although I would like if I could stay closer to $450. Yesterday I was about to pull the plug on either a 2060 or 2070 from Best Buy taking advantage of their anniversary financing options, today I realized the “super” versions came out. Take in consideration I have a 1440p 144hz g sync monitor. I mostly play competitive FPS and some racing games. Thanks ! 

If you're not married to team green then you'll find that the 5700 xt is a great value buy as it was originally targeted at the 2070 (which is now the 2060 super) and in many cases will either just barely come in contact with the 2070 super in most titles or lose in a minor way.

NVIDIA has a great software stack which includes RTX, Geforce Streaming, Ansel, Shadowplay and a lot of other cool features.  I personally have never used anything except Geforce Streaming.  I have a 1080 ti and a 2060 (no rtx is not fun on it).  

AMD is aware of their inability to create a feature set that can compete with Geforce Streaming and may come out with an answer to it one day.

A lot of the third party cards came out which will help with some performance increases but will mostly be about keeping a normalized 40 dba while using your video card at full load.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dhep-oc/p/N82E16814131751 seems to be getting some nice press at the moment and is probably a good start.

Hello there, I just ran into some issues where my display port cable bricked my graphics card because of the well known pin 20 power issue. I have about $550 dlls to spend on a graphics card although I would like if I could stay closer to $450. Yesterday I was about to pull the plug on either a 2060 or 2070 from Best Buy taking advantage of their anniversary financing options, today I realized the “super” versions came out. Take in consideration I have a 1440p 144hz g sync monitor. I mostly play competitive FPS and some racing games. Thanks ! 

3 hours ago, MultiLito said:

If you're not married to team green then you'll find that the 5700 xt is a great value buy as it was originally targeted at the 2070 (which is now the 2060 super) and in many cases will either just barely come in contact with the 2070 super in most titles or lose in a minor way.

NVIDIA has a great software stack which includes RTX, Geforce Streaming, Ansel, Shadowplay and a lot of other cool features.  I personally have never used anything except Geforce Streaming.  I have a 1080 ti and a 2060 (no rtx is not fun on it).  

AMD is aware of their inability to create a feature set that can compete with Geforce Streaming and may come out with an answer to it one day.

A lot of the third party cards came out which will help with some performance increases but will mostly be about keeping a normalized 40 dba while using your video card at full load.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dhep-oc/p/N82E16814131751 seems to be getting some nice press at the moment and is probably a good start.

for $500, the 2070 super is the best you'll get

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gZLwrH/zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-twin-fan-video-card-zt-t20710f-10p

dropping closer to your $450 target, the aforementioned RX 5700 XT models will be hitting the market soon and would be my recommendation.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, phoenixflower said:

Thanks a lot, no, I’m definitely not in bed with Nvidia matter of fact I was thinking about buying a new mobo and switching to a amd cpu as well. I will look into it. Thanks ! 

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

for $500, the 2070 super is the best you'll get

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gZLwrH/zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-twin-fan-video-card-zt-t20710f-10p

dropping closer to your $450 target, the aforementioned RX 5700 XT models will be hitting the market soon and would be my recommendation.

Thanks, I will look into both of those !