1440p vs 144hz.

PolarBroOmega

So I'm getting a new monitor, I'm having a hard time deciding between 1440p or 144hz. Running a GTX 1070, I'll be upgrading down the road to a 5700xt but that wont be for a couple months; Will my GPU run 1440p decently enough? Not every single setting needs to be maxed, and I don't mind dropping to 1920x1080 for really demanding games or dropping settings until the 5700xt, but I'm wondering what people think would be best?
I game a fair bit, but also do a lot of general computing. That said, for the 5700xt, would 1440p AND 144hz be beneficial for that GPU or would that be too much for it? Any and all help would be appreciated!

A 1070 should have no problem playing most games at either 1440p 60Hz or 1080p 144Hz. I'd think a 5700XT could probably run 1440p 144Hz on a decent amount of games, but definitely not every game. I mean, all of this really depends on what you're playing. A 1070 could even run some games at those specs, it's just going to be a more limited selection.

If it's within your budget to buy a monitor that supports 1440p 144Hz I'd say go for it. Even when you're playing a game that can't take full advantage of it you might get, say 90fps which is going to feel noticeably better than 60.

If you need to choose between the two, that's really up to your personal preference. My preference is resolution over refresh rate, but that doesn't seem to be the majority opinion for the pc gaming community. Competitive games benefit more from refresh rate but otherwise there's no definitive answer.

Also, I'm approaching this from a gaming perspective, but you said you do other things too. I think it makes more sense to prioritize resolution for most other applications. There aren't many tasks outside of gaming that are going to benefit much from a high refresh rate.

1 hour ago, greenlotad said:

A 1070 should have no problem playing most games at either 1440p 60Hz or 1080p 144Hz. I'd think a 5700XT could probably run 1440p 144Hz on a decent amount of games, but definitely not every game. I mean, all of this really depends on what you're playing. A 1070 could even run some games at those specs, it's just going to be a more limited selection.

If it's within your budget to buy a monitor that supports 1440p 144Hz I'd say go for it. Even when you're playing a game that can't take full advantage of it you might get, say 90fps which is going to feel noticeably better than 60.

If you need to choose between the two, that's really up to your personal preference. My preference is resolution over refresh rate, but that doesn't seem to be the majority opinion for the pc gaming community. Competitive games benefit more from refresh rate but otherwise there's no definitive answer.

Also, I'm approaching this from a gaming perspective, but you said you do other things too. I think it makes more sense to prioritize resolution for most other applications. There aren't many tasks outside of gaming that are going to benefit much from a high refresh rate.

Appreciate the reply, and covering everything! I kind of figured the same; 144hz seems nice, and if I can get 1440p 144hz I will, but if not, I think I'll settle on 1440p 60hz for one monitor, and 1080p 144hz for the other. One to game, one to do other things. Thanks for your help with coming to the conclusion fully!

16 hours ago, PolarBroOmega said:

Appreciate the reply, and covering everything! I kind of figured the same; 144hz seems nice, and if I can get 1440p 144hz I will, but if not, I think I'll settle on 1440p 60hz for one monitor, and 1080p 144hz for the other. One to game, one to do other things. Thanks for your help with coming to the conclusion fully!

You're welcome fam. Honestly, that's a really good decision too. I borrowed a high refresh rate from a friend once and what I liked most about it was the screen real estate from having two monitors, not the refresh rate. If you do that it's kind of a best of both worlds scenario. cheers.