Do I need an AMP

Firball1

So I plan to get the Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee and on almost all reviews of the headphones I saw they were paired with an amp. Is this a required thing or can I get by. I have looked at a few different amps but also am wondering if my mobo would be enough to power them. Thanks!!

Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Just to add to this, the 3 different Amps I was looking at if I did need one were the AudioQuest DragonFly Black, AudioEngine D1, and the Schiit Fulla 2. If I were to need one any opinion on which one?

Yeah, def a good AMP would bring the most out of those headphones. But If I were you, I would first buy the headphones and try them bare first, then maybe if I had a store that would offer some decent AMPs, go there and do a blind test with and without it. After that, the conclusion is subjective.

Btw, what primary purpose are you planning to use those headphones anyway? Professional music production work or just listening to music or gaming? 

And do you happen to know the impedance of the headphone?

console.log("way to pro");

Not strictly related but I see this a lot and just wanted to point it out: amp is short for amplifier, it's not an acronym and doesn't need to be capitalized as such

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

point it out: amp is short for amplifier, it's not an acronym and doesn't need to be capitalized as such

Thanks

console.log("way to pro");

9 hours ago, Firball1 said:

So I plan to get the Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee and on almost all reviews of the headphones I saw they were paired with an amp. Is this a required thing or can I get by. I have looked at a few different amps but also am wondering if my mobo would be enough to power them. Thanks!!

Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Just to add to this, the 3 different Amps I was looking at if I did need one were the AudioQuest DragonFly Black, AudioEngine D1, and the Schiit Fulla 2. If I were to need one any opinion on which one?

From my experience while it does benefit from a nice clean source it is perfectly great without a dac an amp and jus running it off your onboard. If you still wanted one in the future I would personally go with the fiio k3

16 hours ago, PatXioPC said:

Yeah, def a good AMP would bring the most out of those headphones. But If I were you, I would first buy the headphones and try them bare first, then maybe if I had a store that would offer some decent AMPs, go there and do a blind test with and without it. After that, the conclusion is subjective.

Btw, what primary purpose are you planning to use those headphones anyway? Professional music production work or just listening to music or gaming? 

And do you happen to know the impedance of the headphone?

Gaming and music

150 ohms

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not strictly related but I see this a lot and just wanted to point it out: amp is short for amplifier, it's not an acronym and doesn't need to be capitalized as such

I knew that, did it anyway because it feels right