I Need serious help please.

So i have had my pc for about 6 months. i have always has 1 issue and that is my pc constantly restarts and on average it resets about 1 time a day and the most it has reset in a day was about 6 - 8 times. i recently bought a rtx 2070 because i thought i would of been the graphics card maybe but i since then discovered userbenchmark. i ran a test and my cpu usage is apparently performing way below expectations at a 2nd percentile and averaging at 43.9% is what it is saying. when overclocked my gpu and memory, everything is running perfectly CPU. i have applied new thermal paste and all, i have water cooling on my cpu aswell but it constantly sits at 100 degrees when i am playing fortnite. i play 1080p with every graphic setting on lowest but fps dips down to about 2 - 30's when i am playing and it just randomly spikes down to bad fps like evry 5 - 10 seconds. i just think that my cpu must be fried from it always resetting. i am thinking of getting a i5-9400F, it is cheap and apparently good for gaming. please let me know if there are better cpu's for fortnite and rtx 2070, reasonably around the same price please. thank you and also. Here's my specs

CPU - i7-6700k 4.0ghz and im pretty sure 8 cores?

GPU- RTX 2070

Motherboard- MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X

SSD- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Hard DriveWD Blue 2TB

RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 2x8GB

Thank you

@SmithOCE I hate to break it to you, but the i7 6700k is a 4 CORE and 8 THREAD CPU. But even then, it's a great CPU to have. What cooler do you have?

The GPU might have some problems with the drivers or something. Did you try the normal troubleshooting? Such as updating drivers, or do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated? 

6700k is 4 cores, 8 threads. if it is hitting 100c, you're probably thermal throttling, run something like HWinfo64 and run the game, then you can see a min, max, and average CPU temp, and it will say if it was thermal throttled at any point. Your overclock is either too high, voltage too high, or the cooler isn't mounted properly or running properly. there are a lot of variables at play. Random shutdowns can even be PSU related, you didn't mention the wattage on that. I had a 750W that would overheat with my overclocked 7700k and overclocked 2080Ti and would just shut my PC down to protect itself.

6 minutes ago, AzureNissi said:

@SmithOCE I hate to break it to you, but the i7 6700k is a 4 CORE and 8 THREAD CPU. But even then, it's a great CPU to have. What cooler do you have?

The GPU might have some problems with the drivers or something. Did you try the normal troubleshooting? Such as updating drivers, or do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated? 

i have a Fractal Design Kelvin T12 Water Cooler

i just checked for new drivers for the cpu and it says its at the latest? and i am not too sure on what u mean by "do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated?" sorry, im just new to learning about pc's and stuff 

8 minutes ago, Labeled said:

6700k is 4 cores, 8 threads. if it is hitting 100c, you're probably thermal throttling, run something like HWinfo64 and run the game, then you can see a min, max, and average CPU temp, and it will say if it was thermal throttled at any point. Your overclock is either too high, voltage too high, or the cooler isn't mounted properly or running properly. there are a lot of variables at play. Random shutdowns can even be PSU related, you didn't mention the wattage on that. I had a 750W that would overheat with my overclocked 7700k and overclocked 2080Ti and would just shut my PC down to protect itself.

yeah i have a 750W fractal power supply sorry

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :(

3 minutes ago, Labeled said:

Is your display cable plugged into your motherboard, or your graphics card?

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :( ( forgot to click the quote thing )

Just now, SmithOCE said:

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :(

check that your CPU cooler is on correctly.with your specs, there is no real reason for why your CPU is at is hitting 100C and for why your frames are bad in games. 

Take off the CPU cooler and check if the plastic is still on there and if it is then remove it. Apply new paste and remount the cooler after that. Your CPU is running too hot and that's likely why it's shutting down and running slow.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Labeled said:

since you have a second monitor, https://www.hwinfo.com/ download and have this running on the other monitor and see if you're thermal throttling when you play.

ok thanks, i havent played any games with my overclock yet, i just overclocked to test if any of the other things are failing but it just seems to be the cpu, and fortnite is down and i have no other games to trial whilst they update fortnite

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Take off the CPU cooler and check if the plastic is still on there and if it is then remove it. Apply new paste and remount the cooler after that. Your CPU is running too hot and that's likely why it's shutting down and running slow.

i have taken off my water cooler and it all seems fine, i re-applied thermal paste about 3 days ago also

3 minutes ago, AzureNissi said:

check that your CPU cooler is on correctly.with your specs, there is no real reason for why your CPU is at is hitting 100C and for why your frames are bad in games. 

yeah its really weird, would a new cpu fix the problem do you think? if i could i would love to get this one working but i have had about 4 different pc guys check my pc and say that there are no problems?

1 minute ago, SmithOCE said:

i have taken off my water cooler and it all seems fine, i re-applied thermal paste about 3 days ago also

Do you have enough mounting pressure? Do you have a picture of the thermal paste spread? What core voltage is set in the BIOS?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Do you have enough mounting pressure? Do you have a picture of the thermal paste spread? What core voltage is set in the BIOS?

i am not too sure about mounting pressure, the thermal paste is by Chemtools, r001, heatsink compound and says thermally conductive grease, 150gram tube

1 minute ago, SmithOCE said:

i am not too sure about mounting pressure, the thermal paste is by Chemtools, r001, heatsink compound and says thermally conductive grease, 150gram tube

What paste it is isn't very important, what I'm looking for is how the spread looks so I could tell if you are using the right amount of the stuff. Also the voltage set in BIOS is one to check because it could have automatically gone too high for some reason

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

What paste it is isn't very important, what I'm looking for is how the spread looks so I could tell if you are using the right amount of the stuff. Also the voltage set in BIOS is one to check because it could have automatically gone too high for some reason

ok so i did a dot in the middle of the cpu and then put the water cooler back on. i put my bios to default settings because if i turn on either game boost or XMP it will not let me into my pc and gives me 3 options on like how to start it up, f1 just doesnt do anything, f2 is to put it to normal settings and thats what i did and something else that does nothing 

Is the pump on you AIO work? How good you motherboard's VRM and chipset cooling? Seems to be a thermal issue to me, you should also check if the fan works on the radiator, maybe set a more aggressive fan profile.

Even my FX runs cooler @4,8Ghz ( 55 celsius max )

67890265_2407441946191588_1982718622237196288_n.jpg

system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

Thinkpad W530 😕 

sus not cis

Some comic sans because why not

698232669_capture1.PNG.87563fb138321a6db1b737b28798a072.PNGok so here is what my thing looks like, i dont know anything about it but i am not playing fortnite at the moment so it should be better than what it would be if i was to be playing fortnite

Another thing: have you made sure the pump is running? Check the cable from the block and make sure it is plugged in right.

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Another thing: have you made sure the pump is running? Check the cable from the block and make sure it is plugged in right.

ill try look. i am not too sure on alot of terms about pc's sorry but i am slowly learning 

I looked up that paste, and its 0.9 W/mK for thermal conductivity.. I've never seen any rated that low. Good paste is usually around 8.5W/mK great is at 12.5 W/mK.

I forgot to add, launch HWinfo as Sensors only.

I think your paste is the issue..