New CPU - Best Options

Hello!

So I am looking into replacing my current CPU/MOBO, but I'm a little unsure of what a good "bang for my buck" upgrade would be.

I currently have an i7 4790k on an m97 Gaming 5 motherboard. I've also got a 1080ti.

I'd like to avoid replacing the GPU for awhile, as I think this will hold up for quite a bit. But, I'm not sure what to go with CPU wise.

It'll be an expensive upgrade, as I'll have to purchase DDR4 RAM as well. So I'd like to essentially build this around my GPU and make the most of it for the longest amount of time.

Any advice would be awesome,

Thank you!

Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, and 16Gb 3200Mz.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

The absolute bang for the buck now would be the Ryzen 5 3600 with a b450 tomahawk and 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz

Edit: I was going to say that that was going to be what everyone would tell you, but looks like someone preceeded me so lol

I'm doing some comparison shopping right now and the Ryzen 5 is coming up in a lot of my searching - Thank you!~

Here's a question, though.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/512483/core-i9-9900k-coffee-lake-36-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor#

This is currently on sale at the Micro center down the street from me for $250.00 off.  Is it in anyway worth purchasing this level of CPU with that high of a discount?

If you want to go a bit higher-end then go for the Ryzen 7 3700x. Unless you're going to spend more than 600 dollars on the cpu alone then intel is not worth it rn

Just now, Epimetheus said:

If you want to go a bit higher-end then go for the Ryzen 7 3700x. Unless you're going to spend more than 600 dollars on the cpu alone then intel is not worth it rn

How about an i9 9900k for 450? O_o

Isn't that a great deal?

The i9 9900k retails for 450 now, so that's not a discount. It's made to look like it 

Edit: The 9900kf, the 9900k normal costs 30 more but it's just useless iGpu you'd be getting

Just now, Epimetheus said:

The i9 9900k retails for 450 now, so that's not a discount. It's made to look like it 

10-4 - Thank you very much.

I'm going to go ahead and learn abit about the Ryzen chips.

I basically only start learning about hardware when I actually go to buy it - gunna be a long day :P

54 minutes ago, Lucroarna said:

10-4 - Thank you very much.

I'm going to go ahead and learn abit about the Ryzen chips.

I basically only start learning about hardware when I actually go to buy it - gunna be a long day :P

Fun for sure least for me to learn about the actual architecture. If you have any questions please come back to us. For example what monitor will you be using? What frame rate are you targeting?  

I'm using an Acer XB271HU @2k, I don't experience any issues and easily maintain 60-100 FPS on every game I play - most AAA titles that have come out in the last 2-3 years

I can achieve 60 FPS at Very Good @4k resolution on my Television (LG UJ6300) on most games, lately it's been AC Odyssey and DMCV.

I'm not currently experiencing any issues with performance - this is the best PC I've ever had really.

I just wonder based on the cost of an i9 right now, if it's a good time to buy the CPU and move forward with it for another 5 years (Almost been that long with my 4790k).

I could potentially sell my set-up right now in a nice case I used to use (4790k, 970GTX, 12GB DDR3@1666, 1TB HDD, 128gb SSD) and make back some of what  I'll lose from my purchase.

My hope in an upgrade here would to be able to jump on the next "Best" TI Card from the next series of GPUs from my current 1080TI, and suffer no bottlenecks whatsoever.