Best way to backup data to external hard drive

Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,

For data only, use FreeFileSync in Mirror mode (not the same as RAID 1) to copy files to your external backup drive. pretty much any OS will be able to read your data files.

Hi all, 

I have a Synology DS412+ with 3 4TB hard drives. Currently, two of them are running in raid 1 and the other one is a hot spare. I also have a 4TB external HDD. What would be the best way to simply copy all of my data over to the external HDD so that I can access it from another Linux computer with installing an app? I assume that an app (from the "package center") would be the way to go, especially seeing as a backup schedule would be nice. 

Thanks,

Catchears.

12 minutes ago, Catchears said:

Hi all, 

I have a Synology DS412+ with 3 4TB hard drives. Currently, two of them are running in raid 1 and the other one is a hot spare. I also have a 4TB external HDD. What would be the best way to simply copy all of my data over to the external HDD so that I can access it from another Linux computer with installing an app? I assume that an app (from the "package center") would be the way to go, especially seeing as a backup schedule would be nice. 

Thanks,

Catchears.

I got a little confused, are you trying to back up data on a Windows system or a Linux system?

56 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I got a little confused, are you trying to back up data on a Windows system or a Linux system?

The Synology disk station runs a lite verson of linux. There are apps which you can install. However, it only has apps specially made for the NAS itself. My question was whether anyone knows of an app which can simply copy the data so that any other (probably only Linux) computer can read it.

1 minute ago, Catchears said:

The Synology disk station runs a lite verson of linux. There are apps which you can install. However, it only has apps specially made for the NAS itself. My question was whether anyone knows of an app which can simply copy the data so that any other (probably only Linux) computer can read it.

Oops, I completely misread the question, so you want to back up the data on the Synology disk station to the external drive?

59 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Oops, I completely misread the question, so you want to back up the data on the Synology disk station to the external drive?

Correct. Sorry if my post was misleading.

48 minutes ago, Catchears said:

Correct. Sorry if my post was misleading.

Is this along the lines of something you're looking for?

27 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Is this along the lines of something you're looking for?

What?

For data only, use FreeFileSync in Mirror mode (not the same as RAID 1) to copy files to your external backup drive. pretty much any OS will be able to read your data files.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!