Recommendations on what to do with current setup

Hello,

I am currently trying to decide what to do with my current setup, I'm either thinking of scrapping most of it and starting again, or maybe just upgrade 1 or 2 bits.

But I would like to have some other opinions on the matter to get a better idea as to what I should really do, hence I have come here!

This is my current build

CPU: Intel Core i5 4960K

Ram 16GB DDR3

Mobo: Asus Z97-E (Socket 1150)

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

SSD: 256GB Kingston

HDD: WD 2TB & WD 1TB

Monitor: BenQ GW2760HS

Power Supply: Corsair 750watts

Case: Zalman Z-11 Plus (If it matters)

Keyboard: Logitech g710+ orange

Mouse: Logitech g502 hero

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30

My thought's have been up until this posting, of just getting a new CPU and perhaps see if that will improve things.

I use my computer for mostly gaming and mostly just racing games.  But I do tend to enjoy all types of games, although I do get a bit behind on times cause of other factors that get in the way etc. I am currently able to run pretty much all the games I want.  Just not of course at their max settings, so far it hasn't really been an issue.

But I do want to make things look nicer than they are right now. Especially with all the newer games coming out.

So any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time.

the best cpu you could get with your current setup is a 4790k which won't be a huge performance gain over the 4690k.

I'd recommend hanging onto your current setup as long as it runs games as well as you'd like.

for a major upgrade, you'll need to replace the mobo, memory, and cpu which can be a bit expensive

At minimum, get an i7 and overclock the balls out of it. A step above that would be an i7 and a GPU upgrade (used 1080 maybe). A step above that would be a Ryzen 2 CPU, motherboard, and new RAM. Finally, a step above that would be a complete system overhaul, only keeping the storage and maybe the case, PSU, and fans/cooler.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

hey there :)

look at whether the games you play / will play are heavily dependent on cpu or not.

if stuff for work is sufficiently fulfilled, id just max out the gpu. Now this is where it gets tricky. If your cpu bottlenecks a newer gpu (that is probably if you desire high resolution or high refresh rate gaming) Id upgrade MB, CPU and Ram in a first step. Then later on I'd buy a new GPU.

See, for me its somewhat the same right now, just that I game less and produce music more. I am running 6600k and 1070 8GB. The 1070 is more than enough for me, despite double 1440p monitors with 144 and 75hz respectively - when it comes to gaming, as I mostly play stuff like Diablo, LoL, or Minecraft. However, when Im doing alot of stuff simultaneously, or heavier music production is going on then I see that 6600k struggle. So Ill replace that first, and probably use the gpu until its dead, unless I get back into this whole theme of "I want the newest Far Cry to run @4k 240 frames".

you are having the same issue, just from the gpu side, not from the cpu side. That is - check out (depending on the GPU u'd choose) if and when your other components start heavily (!) limiting the GPU you will choose. So my personal steps would be:

1. GPU upgrade (maybe 2060, 2070 ish price level - I guess thats somewhat reasonable, though its a lot of money; maybe buy AMD equivalent; maybe wait for Intel to make a move in the GPU market and check how everything develops)

2. Probably Display upgrade - unless you already have 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 144Hz

3. Check if my other components limit the latter 2060/2070 or AMD equivalent in reaching my desired 1080p or 1440p 144Hz "goal"

4. If so (after a while) - upgrade to X570 (180€ roughly) and at least Ryzen 3600 (200€ roughly) and in your case get that ddr4 kit,that fits ryzen (140€ roughly for 16GB). Me personally - I'm torn between 3700x or 3900x. Non x variants will come out soon, so we might all wanna wait for that.

If you can a priori tell that your desired GPU/Display/Framerate Goal will be bottlenecked heavily (!) by your cpu, you can turn the above demonstrated upgrade path around and start off with the MB and CPU upgrade.

Hope I could help, and greetings!

Chris

20 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

At minimum, get an i7 and overclock the balls out of it. A step above that would be an i7 and a GPU upgrade (used 1080 maybe). A step above that would be a Ryzen 2 CPU, motherboard, and new RAM. Finally, a step above that would be a complete system overhaul, only keeping the storage and maybe the case, PSU, and fans/cooler.

perhaps you should stick to intel i5 but newer generation. And change that ddr 3 RAM and mobo.

37 minutes ago, Blake_Murdock said:

Ram 16GB DDR3

you already have a pretty well matched parts here. 

i5 + 1060+ 1080p 60hz monitor

imo any upgrades alone would be a great bottleneck...

10 minutes ago, Chris V said:

hey there :)

look at whether the games you play / will play are heavily dependent on cpu or not.

if stuff for work is sufficiently fulfilled, id just max out the gpu. Now this is where it gets tricky. If your cpu bottlenecks a newer gpu (that is probably if you desire high resolution or high refresh rate gaming) Id upgrade MB, CPU and Ram in a first step. Then later on I'd buy a new GPU.

See, for me its somewhat the same right now, just that I game less and produce music more. I am running 6600k and 1070 8GB. The 1070 is more than enough for me, despite double 1440p monitors with 144 and 75hz respectively - when it comes to gaming, as I mostly play stuff like Diablo, LoL, or Minecraft. However, when Im doing alot of stuff simultaneously, or heavier music production is going on then I see that 6600k struggle. So Ill replace that first, and probably use the gpu until its dead, unless I get back into this whole theme of "I want the newest Far Cry to run @4k 240 frames".

you are having the same issue, just from the gpu side, not from the cpu side. That is - check out (depending on the GPU u'd choose) if and when your other components start heavily (!) limiting the GPU you will choose. So my personal steps would be:

1. GPU upgrade (maybe 2060, 2070 ish price level - I guess thats somewhat reasonable, though its a lot of money; maybe buy AMD equivalent; maybe wait for Intel to make a move in the GPU market and check how everything develops)

2. Probably Display upgrade - unless you already have 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 144Hz

3. Check if my other components limit the latter 2060/2070 or AMD equivalent in reaching my desired 1080p or 1440p 144Hz "goal"

4. If so (after a while) - upgrade to X570 (180€ roughly) and at least Ryzen 3600 (200€ roughly) and in your case get that ddr4 kit,that fits ryzen (140€ roughly for 16GB). Me personally - I'm torn between 3700x or 3900x. Non x variants will come out soon, so we might all wanna wait for that.

If you can a priori tell that your desired GPU/Display/Framerate Goal will be bottlenecked heavily (!) by your cpu, you can turn the above demonstrated upgrade path around and start off with the MB and CPU upgrade.

Hope I could help, and greetings!

Chris

this is a good path for upgrades. Unfortunately, OP is on a 1080p 60hz panel, so he won't get much benefit from upgrading gpu unless he upgrades his cpu as well. 4690k will bottleneck on higher resolutions (1440p, 4k) even with high-end GPUs doing the heavy lifting. for a significant cost-performance increase, OP has to upgrade most of his components

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

this is a good path for upgrades.

this is typically a new pc more than an upgrade

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

this is a good path for upgrades. Unfortunately, OP is on a 1080p 60hz panel, so he won't get much benefit from upgrading gpu unless he upgrades his cpu as well. 4690k will bottleneck on higher resolutions (1440p, 4k) even with high-end GPUs doing the heavy lifting. for a significant cost-performance increase, OP has to upgrade most of his components

seems logical yeah

an another note: anyone here know how to run a minecraft server properly? haha. I have some issues with plugins.

heres the thread, just on a side note. dont wanna annoy OP (or anyone else here for that matter)

doesnt seem to get any attention (what a surprise haha), thats the only reason Im asking.

@OP id get a ryzen 3600 and b450 first in that case - to save some cash. maybe you can cheap out on some ddr4 if you play with timings and infinity fabric - check Linus' recent video about just that.

Greetings yall :)

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is typically a new pc more than an upgrade

agreed

I call it an "upgrade" since he really only needs a mobo, cpu, and memory & can probably keep everything else. technically a new machine, but thats just how i like to view things lol

right now GPU will do more than a cpu upgrade. However with an aging i5 you run into, do you want to stick with intel? if so then just wait until 10th gen is released, if not then go with ryzen. GPU can hold you over for a generation especially if you play higher than 1080p, however if you can find a used 4790k for a reasonable price can't hurt to grab one. Any upgrade other than GPU will have you spending a lot since DDR3 is no longer used for the most part so you'll need ram as well as a motherboard for newer cpu's. 

In the end you just have to do the research and see if the cost if worth it for you.

3 minutes ago, Chris V said:

an another note: anyone here know how to run a minecraft server properly? haha. I have some issues with plugins.

unfortunately, not familiar with minecraft. If no one responds to your thread, id recommend starting a new one in a day or 2. There may be a subreddit out there to help as well, since there's definitely more active users over there than on LTT. best of luck! :) 

Just now, Derrk said:

unfortunately, not familiar with minecraft. If no one responds to your thread, id recommend starting a new one in a day or 2. There may be a subreddit out there to help as well, since there's definitely more active users over there than on LTT. best of luck! :) 

ok thanks so much! :) LTT is mostly the only forum I use, and people here are just ❤️

thats why even for minecraft Im round here lol. No wonder tho that no ones interested, we are all wayyy too old for that stuff haha

3 hours ago, Blake_Murdock said:

Hello,

I am currently trying to decide what to do with my current setup, I'm either thinking of scrapping most of it and starting again, or maybe just upgrade 1 or 2 bits.

But I would like to have some other opinions on the matter to get a better idea as to what I should really do, hence I have come here!

This is my current build

Ram 16GB DDR3

Power Supply: 750watts (Cant remember the brand/other information at the time of posting, will get it later)

Case: Zalman Z-11 Plus (If it matters)

Keyboard: Logitech g710+ orange

Mouse: Logitech g502 hero

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30

My thought's have been up until this posting, of just getting a new CPU and perhaps see if that will improve things.

I use my computer for mostly gaming and mostly just racing games.  But I do tend to enjoy all types of games, although I do get a bit behind on times cause of other factors that get in the way etc. I am currently able to run pretty much all the games I want.  Just not of course at their max settings, so far it hasn't really been an issue.

But I do want to make things look nicer than they are right now. Especially with all the newer games coming out.

So any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time.

You definitely need to upgrade the CPU & GPU and motherboard. If you want to get a new CPU then you also will need to get a new motherboard too, so you might need to spend more then you expected to.

CPUwise I would recommend the Ryzen 5 3600, very good price to performance (and under $200)

If you do upgrade to a 3600 then you would also need a new motherboard, x570 is the best but it's also very pricy so if you're looking for a board under 100 then go B450 or X470 (*may require BIOS update)

GPUwise really depends on what's your budget, if it's under 200 then RX 570 is very good, if you're wiling to spend a bit more then 5700 XT is the best, just wait until custom cooler designs come out.

Thanks for all the help peoples.

I was kinda at a toss up on what to do like I mentioned,

I was thinking of just upgrading to a different CPU as it kinda is the cheaper route and my current CPU does not do hyperthreading.  I know I can get my hands on a i7 4770 for about $249 canadian, but I don't think that would really give me much of a performance boost really..  

But I wasn't sure if it would be a better idea just to hold onto that money and instead buy like a new motherboard or ram with it instead, which would probably be the better option in the end.

If I did start putting together parts for a new system, I would probably keep my video card for a while as I don't think I've seen it's full potential yet with my current setup.