Raid0 am I in for a rough ride? or no?

Linksys120n
Go to solution Solved by Linksys120n,

Doing further reading... apparently someone else on toms hardware had this same question.... instead of raid it would be MUCH faster to have separate C and D drives.

I need detailed help on an upgrade from a single sata3 M.2 ssd to dual MVME M.2 in RAID0

here is my motherboard http://asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Master%20SLIac/index.asp

I understand that because one of the slots is PCIE GEN2 X2 that the RAID will default to that speed for BOTH drives... this will mean 10Gb/s EACH before removing a bit for overhead...

What I need to know is: am I missing anything? am I doing a dumb? Am I in for a rough ride or smooth sailing?

Yes I have used RAID0 before, yes I know the risks I use cloud+offline storage for important bits. This is for the OS and games. I have never used MVME before, ever.

I already ordered the MVME drives, they are in the mail. 2x of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6DKM8V/

thanks for any info you can give.

derp

This is a very strange choice you made. If they are indeed going to be running at 10Gb/s each, then that means best case scenario 2400MB/s. Probably less usually. According to the specs of the drive that is the low end of what a single one of those ssd's is capable of. So you're losing a lot of speed. It can't be that you are trying to get cheap 1TB NVME storage as you're paying way to much for it. There are cheaper 1TB drives from the same brand.

So what is it that you are trying to accomplish by doing this? But since you did ask, yes IMO you are being dumb.

I have no signature

5 hours ago, Helly said:

If they are indeed going to be running at 10Gb/s each, then that means best case scenario 2400MB/s.

Shit... I didn't do the math... thats 2400MB combined huh.... fuck. I was hoping combined would have SOME advantage.... what about in smaller random read/writes? latency? will all that just equal the speed of a single drive?

derp

Doing further reading... apparently someone else on toms hardware had this same question.... instead of raid it would be MUCH faster to have separate C and D drives.

derp

How would you put those drives in Raid 0 in the first place?

They are not on your sata controller so the built in raid controller wouldn't see the nvme drives.

I think its simply not possible but maybe.. still seems like a waste even if you could. Nvme drives are blindingly fast already, the performance increase would be lost on anything other than file transfers.

I've run RAID0 (with sata SSDs mind) for about 3 years now. I'm not so worried about reliability, as I back up weekly and SSDs are so much more reliable than hard drives.

However, you're going to get a substantial latency penalty, even if they were both operating under ideal conditions. With the Sata SSD, it was still worth it for the doubling of raw speed, but I'm not so sure with the NVME drives - they already have a huge amount of raw speed and extremely low latency. I think with other bottlenecks in your system, it might feel slower than a single drive alone even if the raw speed were faster. I'd love to see your benchmarks though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, hotrob said:

I've run RAID0 (with sata SSDs mind) for about 3 years now. I'm not so worried about reliability, as I back up weekly and SSDs are so much more reliable than hard drives.

However, you're going to get a substantial latency penalty, even if they were both operating under ideal conditions. With the Sata SSD, it was still worth it for the doubling of raw speed, but I'm not so sure with the NVME drives - they already have a huge amount of raw speed and extremely low latency. I think with other bottlenecks in your system, it might feel slower than a single drive alone even if the raw speed were faster. I'd love to see your benchmarks though!

oh sorry I'm a week late... been busy tweaking windows, I opted to start fresh instead of cloning... anyway I found out that yeah raid0 mvme is totally a thing... that I didn't bother to try... because it exists and has been benchmarked and well it turns out there is something known as a software bottleneck and you can hit that bottleneck super quick... ever tried loading loading a vm of windows xp from an nvme drive? I did! it's not any faster or slower regardless of if loaded from a sata3 usb3 type A limited sata3 an mvme drive or hell I tossed in a RAM drive for fun...

now keep in mind I aint gonna try bare metal booting that shit but from virtualbox I saw negligible results.... and while the change from sata3 to mvme sped up boots and updates of windows 10.... I wasn't blown away... I barely felt a breeze.

anyway I'm happy I went with C and D drives... now I got a place to stash a bit of internet outage por......

[btw the winxp example was because it was a super easy example.... it's like saying candy taste bad by testing with a moldy snickers]

derp

On 8/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, Linksys120n said:

oh sorry I'm a week late... been busy tweaking windows, I opted to start fresh instead of cloning... anyway I found out that yeah raid0 mvme is totally a thing... that I didn't bother to try... because it exists and has been benchmarked and well it turns out there is something known as a software bottleneck and you can hit that bottleneck super quick... ever tried loading loading a vm of windows xp from an nvme drive? I did! it's not any faster or slower regardless of if loaded from a sata3 usb3 type A limited sata3 an mvme drive or hell I tossed in a RAM drive for fun...

now keep in mind I aint gonna try bare metal booting that shit but from virtualbox I saw negligible results.... and while the change from sata3 to mvme sped up boots and updates of windows 10.... I wasn't blown away... I barely felt a breeze.

anyway I'm happy I went with C and D drives... now I got a place to stash a bit of internet outage por......

[btw the winxp example was because it was a super easy example.... it's like saying candy taste bad by testing with a moldy snickers]

I'm glad you're happy with your solution :)

And I'm sorry, but I keep reading "mvme" as mom-volatile memory express lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, hotrob said:

And I'm sorry, but I keep reading "mvme" as mom-volatile memory express lol

haha I read and say it like "Envy Me" ?

derp