Upgrading old pc. HELP !

Hey all. My PC is very old and I was going to get new PC last month but unfortunately due to family issues my budget spent on something else, so right now I don't have much money to get new pc, so I'm just going for second hand graphic card for temporary, for a year or more until I get my new gaming pc and I found a guy was selling used ASUS GTX 770 2GB for around 65$ usd.

My current PC specs

CPU -- Intel i5 650 3.2 GHz

Cooler -- Antec  A30

MB   -- DH55PJ motherboard

SSD -- 120gb A400 Kingston

Storage -- 2tb seagate

Ram --  6gb DDR 3 Ram 1333 MHz.

I just want to play GTA v and MTA and few other, I don't know i should go for it or not

So anyone can tell me is it good deal, and enough to run modern games at mid settings ? 

From what I've found on Ebay in my location (DE), $65 would only be a good price for a 4GB version of the card.

Also you could check, if you mainboard supports the xeon X34xx series. The xeon x3460 seems to be a good deal and would give you 2 more cores, at lower clock speeds though... Also some ram would be a nice to have :)

I think you can get RX570's for not much more. I'd just grab one of those. Not only will you get significantly better performance, you'll also have an easier time reselling it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

The rx 570 would cost 30% more but won't really give 30% more perfomance.
But I would also look at your PSU first and not just stick a GPU in your System ...

5 hours ago, adm0n said:

But I would also look at your PSU first and not just stick a GPU in your System ...

I don't agree. The 770 is about 50% faster overall and in newer games with dx12 and Vulkan it's double the performance. The 770 for $65 is a good deal if they don't want to spend close to $100 but the RX570 is definitely faster and in newer games it's worth it. GTA V will run great on either. But if you CAN spend the cash, do it. When you upgrade the rest of your build your GPU will be in a better spot. Paring it with a R5 3600 in the future would be really good.

6 hours ago, adm0n said:

I have cooler master 550w bronze.

8 hours ago, adm0n said:

From what I've found on Ebay in my location (DE), $65 would only be a good price for a 4GB version of the card.

Also you could check, if you mainboard supports the xeon X34xx series. The xeon x3460 seems to be a good deal and would give you 2 more cores, at lower clock speeds though... Also some ram would be a nice to have :)

I'm looking at this Xeon x3470 https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/62002970776.html?spm=a2706.amp_supplier. Maybe I can get this  for 13$, Is it compatible with my motherboard ?

2 hours ago, harsh320 said:

Shipping costs to india 40$. And I have already searched for Rx 570 near me. Many of them selling Rx 570 at 120, 140$ usd

Mention the prices in your local currency to avoid confusion.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

9 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Mention the prices in your local currency to avoid confusion.

Gtx 770 is for 4500 INR, and Rx 570 Is for 10500 INR.

12 minutes ago, harsh320 said:

Gtx 770 is for 4500 INR, and Rx 570 Is for 10500 INR.

Get that 770. It's a pretty good deal considering the prices of gpus in India.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

My psu cm 550 80+ bronze is enough for my above setup replacing processor with Xeon x3470 and GTX 770 ?

34 minutes ago, harsh320 said:

My psu cm 550 80+ bronze is enough for my above setup replacing processor with Xeon x3470 and GTX 770 ? 

Here is the compatibility list for your mainboard: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DH55PJ.html

But the Xeon support is unofficial so don't waste any money you need on that processor, because it might not work, you also might need a new coolor for the Xeon processor. Otherwise your PSU should be enough, as long as you aren't planning on Overclocking anything. Then I'd be more careful.

Also see if there are cheap gtx 780's avaiable in your area.

5 hours ago, adm0n said:

Here is the compatibility list for your mainboard: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DH55PJ.html

But the Xeon support is unofficial so don't waste any money you need on that processor, because it might not work, you also might need a new coolor for the Xeon processor. Otherwise your PSU should be enough, as long as you aren't planning on Overclocking anything. Then I'd be more careful.

Also see if there are cheap gtx 780's avaiable in your area.

i looked a lot in few sites and also in retail stores.. but rx 570 and  780 costs near to 10,000 INR. so i thought 770 was the best option i have and bought this for 4500 INR..

image.png.02a57031a891b35602bb7d59991f8b4e.png

MY CPU is still i5 650.. i'm looking to replace it with i7 870 or xeon x3450. hope my psu will be enough for this setup.

Your PSU is capable enough as long as you don't plan on putting in a ton of hard drives or LEDs. Also don't overclock if you aren't sure you have the headroom and like this, you might run into bottlenecks. If you destroy your PSU it will most likely take everything else with it ....

If you are choosing between the i7 and the x3450, go for the i7. The x3460 is comparable (probably the same silicon) to the i7 and then the x3470 will be slightly faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I installed GTX 770 and it's working fine but I cannot do any multi tasking. I have to close all tasks to run smoothly, so I bought Xeon x3470 quad-core processor, just afraid if my psu is enough or it will wreck everything. Don't mind me asking over and over again just want to make sure that's it.