USB Audio Interface & USB Headset

Go to solution Solved by theonlyratatoskr,

I think I get what you mean.

If you can afford a second PC just for streaming, that's great. It'll reduce processing on your gaming pc so you can maximize performance and you won't have to back out of the game for chats, etc.

I need to visualize things, so I think it'll look something like this...

1990405140_SScanner-19080708360.thumb.jpg.db0a0b9497d031b9cea4f29aef26fc20.jpg

Hello again, I'm planning to get a USB audio interface for my XLR microphone using for livestreaming. I just got into it so expect me to be newish in these field. I originally had a Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum headset but the USB audio interface doesn't seems to offer and theoretically no USB output for my headphone.

So, here comes the problem, will the sounds sync if I plugged my USB headset to the computer USB port with a seperate USB audio interface for XLR microphone?

Can't go wrong with Focusrite stuff for an interface. Very reliable.

https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-solo

As for your italic/underline thing...

If you're on a mac you can create an aggregate device out of various audio devices' in/outputs. This will allow you to easily take inputs from one and combine them with outputs of another.

If you're on windows, please google because I don't know if you can actually virtually aggregate devices like this! :)

I would definitely recommend having everything run through one interface/system to avoid potential sync issues.

2 hours ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

Can't go wrong with Focusrite stuff for an interface. Very reliable.

As for your italic/underline thing...

If you're on a mac you can create an aggregate device out of various audio devices' in/outputs. This will allow you to easily take inputs from one and combine them with outputs of another.

If you're on windows, please google because I don't know if you can actually virtually aggregate devices like this! :)

I would definitely recommend having everything run through one interface/system to avoid potential sync issues.

Thank you for the infos, I had done some research online and it seems the solution might be plugging webcam, audio interface, microphone, and broadcasting software on the dedicated streaming pc then route it back with mixer. In this case, using virtual mixer and cable send microphone input from stream pc to gaming pc while selecting the only sounds needed with virtual cables output.

For example, microphone input from streaming pc > virtual cable output > gaming pc > to game/comms software microphone input etc. Leaving my usb headphone connected to gaming pc for my myself to monitor stream alerts and music if I wanted to.

But does this makes sense to you? This is the best I can think of right now imaginary routing plan I can come up with right now.

If you can afford a second PC just for streaming, that's great. It'll reduce processing on your gaming pc so you can maximize performance and you won't have to back out of the game for chats, etc.

15 hours ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

It was actually just an old laptop with i7 4720HQ and 960M 2GB of vram. I did a hardcopy to visualization and what you drew is similiar except that I plan to use NDI scan converter and voicemeeter instead of capture card. I think I can just plug my usb headset on my gaming pc (not using it's integrated microphone) since the 3.5mm jack is meant for xbox, ps4, and mobile device (receiving both pc and phone audio output).

With that, theoretically I think I'm able to skip one/some virtual cable which was meant for monitoring alerts, microphone output, and music from streaming pc but getting microphone output from streaming pc requires atleast one...well I might be wrong, I'm not sure I just dont want my stream to have double mic output at the end since it's like a audio cycle between both pcs.

You had been really helpful and I appreciate that. Thankas a ton!

No worries, dude! I'm actually new to this too but work with audio so I thought I could help. :)

Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out though!

It seems justa matter of figuring our those virtual I/Os to send signals from one device to another. FYI - If you get constant hiss/noise/etc. issues it'll be grounding problems from connecting multiple machines (that's just what happens when you connect electronics like this), at which point you'll need ground isolators on cables or something like dedicated interface/s.

If you have audio issues, I'm happy to help more! :)

4 hours ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

No worries, dude! I'm actually new to this too but work with audio so I thought I could help. :)

Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out though!

It seems justa matter of figuring our those virtual I/Os to send signals from one device to another. FYI - If you get constant hiss/noise/etc. issues it'll be grounding problems from connecting multiple machines (that's just what happens when you connect electronics like this), at which point you'll need ground isolators on cables or something like dedicated interface/s.

If you have audio issues, I'm happy to help more! :)

I'll leave an update here when the setup is ready for live streaming. To verify that our visualizations are working, so those folks who needs help can make use of this knowledge too!

One more questions though, as for the ground insulators, what is that and how can I apply it? Is it on my pcs' power cable that is currently connected to the wall port? As for dedicated interface, do you mean a external audio interface and/or mixer?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I pretty much clueless when it comes to audio.

Ground hum is something as a result from badly set up electricity at someone's home, and there's very little you can do about it, aside from rewiring your entire home or investing in equipment that removes this. These are examples of isolators:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ground+isolator&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ6-vXuvjjAhU1t3EKHXQAD2sQ_AUIEigC&biw=2003&bih=1075&dpr=0.9\

In North America it's at 60Hz and multiples of this (120, 180, etc....), and everywhere else is 50Hz and it's multiples (100, 150, etc.)

What this looks like when measured: https://i.stack.imgur.com/NeSYG.jpg

This will sound like a constant drone with some harmonics from the multiples, you can clearly see them in the spectrogram above.

Finally, yes, I do mean a dedicated interface. A good one should have grounding circuits in place to combat problems with this.

Again, Focusrite is phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about them.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, theonlyratatoskr said:

Ground hum is something as a result from badly set up electricity at someone's home, and there's very little you can do about it, aside from rewiring your entire home or investing in equipment that removes this. These are examples of isolators:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ground+isolator&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ6-vXuvjjAhU1t3EKHXQAD2sQ_AUIEigC&biw=2003&bih=1075&dpr=0.9\

In North America it's at 60Hz and multiples of this (120, 180, etc....), and everywhere else is 50Hz and it's multiples (100, 150, etc.)

What this looks like when measured: https://i.stack.imgur.com/NeSYG.jpg

This will sound like a constant drone with some harmonics from the multiples, you can clearly see them in the spectrogram above.

Finally, yes, I do mean a dedicated interface. A good one should have grounding circuits in place to combat problems with this.

Again, Focusrite is phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about them.

Wow, that's some decent information you provided, it explains quite well for someone whose dumb in these. Again, much thanks! I've been eyeing on Behringer U-Phoria UM-2 but not sure whether it has grounding circuits included...mind if I ask how to check whether if my audio interface has it? Or does all dedicated audio interface comes with grounding circuit?

I doubt that one has ground hum elimination. You might have to invest in a ground hum eliminator after all, patched into a cable that connects one computer to another.

It's hard to say if this will solve it. It'll need to be all set up first and see if it has a problem with this. Multi-device set ups usually do, especially if they're audio related, although it's very situation dependant.

Set it up, see how it is, and then fix it. I'm afraid that's the only recommendation I have at the moment! :)

Let us all know how it is when it's set up!

Hum due to grounding or ground lifting have driven people nuts for decades now. You might try iso transformers after your ups.