DOWNSAMPLING vs RESOLUTION SCALE

Hey! So I have experienced different ways to make my 1080p monitor look better in games, and I stumbled upon AMD's Virtual Super Resolution (VSR), similar to Nvidia's DSR, which is basically downsampling. Now, I enabled it and set my resolution to 4K in games, but I don't see a big difference, in fact, I don't even think I can really see it. So I set my resolution back to 1080p, and instead turned the resolution scale slider to 200%, thus also rendering at 4k, and the difference is MASSIVE. But I am also left to wander, why isn't downsampling giving similar results? 

So true it hurts

Interesting, in wich games are you able to notice this behavior?

Might be connected to the engine and how the resolution reduction is calculated. And wich GPU?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Interesting, in wich games are you able to notice this behavior?

Might be connected to the engine and how the resolution reduction is calculated. And wich GPU?

RX 580 8GB, I tested Crysis 3 and Battlefront 2. Do you notice a difference?

So true it hurts

I Did a quick check with my Radeon VII. I have the same thing happening. And I guess it being a Gausian filter males the quality "worse" or lets say not as detailed.

25 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I Did a quick check with my Radeon VII. I have the same thing happening. And I guess it being a Gausian filter males the quality "worse" or lets say not as detailed.

28 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It depends on what algorithm was used to downsample the image. DSR uses a Gaussian filter to handle resolutions that are of a weird multiple of the base resolution. Some games may use a bicubic filter.

I know it’s asking a bit much, but could you both test your downsampling? I would like to know if it’s just an issue with my monitor.

So true it hurts

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

I know it’s asking a bit much, but could you both test your downsampling? I would like to know if it’s just an issue with my monitor.

I did test it! Also with those games, same behavior. Your monitor has nothing to do with that anyway. It gets 1080p and displays it. how this 1080p are created is irrelevant to it!

9 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

Have you messed around with the DSR Smoothness option? The default at 33% may be too soft and thus makes the image look worse than it should.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, SirFlamenco said:

Hey! So I have experienced different ways to make my 1080p monitor look better in games, and I stumbled upon AMD's Virtual Super Resolution (VSR), similar to Nvidia's DSR, which is basically downsampling. Now, I enabled it and set my resolution to 4K in games, but I don't see a big difference, in fact, I don't even think I can really see it. So I set my resolution back to 1080p, and instead turned the resolution scale slider to 200%, thus also rendering at 4k, and the difference is MASSIVE. But I am also left to wander, why isn't downsampling giving similar results? 

Neither turning up the scale resolution above 100 will fuk you up good as far as frame rates.  Ok you use DSR you change to 4k and want to play at 4k Im here to tell you that you can't.  Unreall you have a 2080Ti and like 60fps ,, compared to triple digit fps in AAA titles and a lower resolution.  Also DSR is only for games it botches your desktop good. The fonts and other stuff is messed up.  Just play at 1080p or high, and do not fuk with scaling and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card